Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belly Pods

Default Re: Belly Pods

I don't know about the legality of slinging stuff under or on the airplanes, but it is done in Alaska frequently. I did a little checking on the items I have and found no labels on the camp chair but it weighes five and a half pounds in it's bag. The tent is the same weight, I guess the three bags for stakes, poles and tent brought it up over the 4 lb. weight I mentioned previously. The sleeping bag weighs 2 lbs in its compression sack and measures 5.75" X 10" when compressed. The pad weighs under two pounds and is slightly larger than the sleeping bag when rolled and stuffed. Check the REI website, lots of very light weight back packing gear
    Lowell

I betcha an external cargo pod of any kind would be considered a “major change” by the FAA as it effects both the aerodynamics of the plane and also the CG ( if you are going by the book). Major changes require notification of the FAA, and they will likely make you redo the weight and balance calculations and perhaps give you some hours to fly off (5 or so).

In the lower 48 I think you need a permit for an external load that is pretty much impossible to get with the exception of a few planes such as the beaver and the Otter which have external cargo limits outlined in their operation manuals. In Alaska the rules are different.

I live in Canada and pretty much anything goes as far as I know. The pilot is responsible for carrying a safe load. In northern Ontario you see that kinda of stuff all the time. C180s with 2 canoes and stuff.

This one doesn't really have to do with anything but i think it is cool.

Thanks Lowell, now how can I fit an ATV in my kitfox
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hey guys/gals i just picked up this bellypod from a guy in Texas yesturday, was wondering if anyone had any info on this style pod, its brand new never mounted and it came “without” mounting hardware, takin it back to Ak with me to install on KF1 ser#0038 thought be nice to have some info on it and be able to find some mounting hardware and mayb install instruction, not that id really need them to install it but sure makes a guys life easier. Hahahhaaaa Thanks in advance Bucky
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another pic of the bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images

43E438C2-1561-49A8-8B89-08C04C5AA629.jpgPlane im installing it on, sorry some reason it wont let me attach multiple pictures. Hahhaaaaa
    Last edited by buckchop; 01-22-2024 at 11:46 AM.