Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gap Seals

Default Gap Seals

I think I finally figured out how to post pics to my album. Today I took a couple of pics of my "gap seals" made from 3/4" plumbing pipe insulating foam. The pics are in my album.

Default Re: Gap Seals

Looks like a good seal on the horz stab. How is it behaving now?

I really like my gap seal back there. The down side I have found is it's pretty sensitive at cruise.

Regarding the vortex generators, have you noticed any decrease in cruise speed?

Clever idea. I had gap seals in my first Model IV and will in my present project, but your design takes the prize in simplicity.

Here are my gap seals. They have been on the aircraft for more than a year now I think and still look great !! They are made from a figure 8 shaped piece of sponge rubber with the top of the8's cut out. They just slide in and fit perfectly. Originally I bought one length of the rubber at the flea market and didn't know what to do with it till I got home from my vacation. I wish I had bought all the vendor had as when I saw him again ,he didn't have any more nor did he know what they were for or where to get them. Well about a month ago I went back to the flea market and the "rubber man" had about 5 lengths so I bought them all.
    I am not going to all of them but wanted some spare rubber in case this stuff ever wears out. I would be willing to part with a few lengths if anyone is interested. Each length(about 5 feet or so) should be enough to do one elevator/stab. It only comes in blue but should be paintable I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have to deal with tape anymore with these seals. previously I had gone thru 3 rolls of different types of "gap seal" tapes in an attempt to get something to stick for a few months. It is a mess getting that adhesive off !

Would love to try a length if you are willing to part with it
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Keep in mind my aircraft is a model 4 so I don't know if it will work or not on later models. I am at my house now and will have to go to my hanger tomorrow and get the measurements and how many I have exactly.
    I will price them @ $5 ea plus postage and will send them in the smallest flat rate postal box in order to save shipping. I haven't mailed anything in awhile so don't know what it costs.
    I sure don't know what these things are and neither did the guy I bought them from.He wouldn't tell me where he got them. If he has any more when I see him next summer,I will buy more.

Holly Mackerel they are going fast ! Dorsal you are the first to reply so if it will fit your plane you will get a length. Airlina will get the next. That leaves me with 2 or 3 left (plus one spare for me)
    I WISH I had a gross of these guys but not so. I am just trying to share, so if any more want them please send me a private message with your address. I will have to go with "first come,first served". There just isn't any other way.
    I will give you my Paypal address/home address. cost will be $5 plus shipping (flat postal box)
    Dick

I have had the gap seals and vortex generators since May this year (80 hours). The tape looks the same as when installed (I believe it is called RINO tape) but I do hanger the a/c.
    I made both installations at the same time so not sure about individual performance changes.
    My high cruise is about 117/120IAS (MPH) so not much different than before (912UL IVO IFA 70"). The trim always was very sensitive. I am not able to comment on that. It might be just my imagination,but it is very easy to over control just before touchdown now. Maybe the elevator is more effective.

I guess Dicks gap seals are the ticket for simplicity. Both are great ideas. Attached is a picture of the hard way. It's why I am still building, I guess, even though I am retired. Just too much thinking. These are fiberglass and you can see the difficulty putting classic style gap seals on our welded tube hinges. Just no room, unlike the rod ends for the rudder hinges. That one is simple by comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images