Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forced landing 11/06/11

My first truly forced landing hopefully my last. in my Kitfox 4 1050 912ul. Was on cross wind runway 8 Pearson Field KVUO. Everything looked good for pre-flight and run up. I took off and when I turned cross wind,(900 feet) my RPM dropped and engine sputtered needle slogging around 3000- 3600 then down to 1500-2200 I immediately turned left toward runway looking over my shoulder, announcing to tower I was doing an emergency landing no one else was in pattern. I was high for 26 so I kept close and descended in my downwind keeping lots of options open. During the down wind it seamed to smooth out so I added full power and engine was coming back then did the same thing started to cough and sputter. When the time came I turned a base to final and wheel landed. Tower was happy said i did well A pilot friend was working on his ship and heard the engine quit, so he came running to see, said he saw the whole thing told me I did really well he has had 2 forced landings himself.
    All I could think was I wanna fly now, darn it.
    It's like everyone say's Everything gets clear and you see all your options open up in an instant. You just stay cool and sharp.
    I can replicate this every time trying to trouble shoot, I have video of what happens, I don't know how to share the video here. would love any advice, I think it's the fuel pump.
    I have 468 hours on the engine and have flown over 100 hours this year, new fuel filter and put another new one on yesterday, no joy! fuel is good hi grade stuff from an F.B.O.

I am glade that I have practiced this so many times, most of my landings I do as an engine out. Also I fly to train almost never am i dillying around up there. Constant improvement is the game in aviation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku7sEYc0Ces

video 1 what the engine is doing

runs ok at lowe rrpm but once I get up to 4600 or 5000 I go through the range of rpm ok , At 9min 20 seconds in video I go to high rpm then you see it drop off by it's self it looks like the throttle is pilled but it's just cutting out on it's own?
    Any ideas?

video 2 of rpm wackiness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oLX8DQysCE

Default Re: Forced landing 11/06/11

Way to go. Been there done that. I had an off airport landing two years ago. I guess training paid off. I had probably one of my better landings! in a soybean field. Don't remember turning gas valve and switches off, but I did. I was at 1100 feet, so didn't have much time. One thing it taught me was pick your best landing spot and stick with it. Don't second guess during the event.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

fuel is good hi grade stuff from an F.B.O
    Is it 100 LL or auto fuel? Do you run any auto fuel?
    Do you have any mil-spec black fuel lines in the aircraft? Those fuel lines were supplied with many kits years ago before they knew there was a concern. Still finding them in aircraft flying today. They are known for swelling on the inside causing fuel flow restriction with no apparent changes visible from the outside. Might be a reason you can run awhile at higher rpms then it drops off. Just one place to start your search for the cause. Good luck.

Congrats. on a successful landing.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hey mods, can you fix the title??? this landing is 4 days away from happening!

your right it was last Sunday, I;m not planning on one next Sunday

From the comfort of my armchair and only two days past Monday I can only offer armchair advice. It's much better to be there in person but this will have to do.

It sounds like fuel starvation. So the first place I'd look is fuel flow. Take off the fuel supply lines and let the fuel flow into a bucket. See if the fuel flows freely for at least two gallons. A short squirt of a cup or two doesn't count. This will check if you have any problems as the header tank begins to drain. While you are doing the fuel flow testing, see if the header tank remains full. Any indication of header tank level dropping indicates you need to look at the fuel tank finger strainers. If you have any inline filters remove them and do the test again.

Next, look at the fuel pump. The spec for Rotax is about 5.7 psi. Excess pressure can cause flooding and the engine could falter the same as if pressure that is too low. There is a service letter on the Rotax fuel pumps. See if it applies to your pump.

That should get you started. Let us know what you find.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

I think John nailed it. It sounds like exactly what happened to me once right after servicing the fuel system. I had just replaced all fuel lines forward of the firewall and an error on my part resulted in reduced fuel flow. It idled fine out to the run up area. Enough fuel in the bowls to sustain the run up, then as I taxied out for take off the bowls filled again, then after departure, I got to about 200 ft and rough running. Engine never quit and I was able to do a 180 and land. I would suspect that there is an issue with fuel flow introduced with yesterday's fuel filter change. My error was, I overtightened a fire sleeve clamp reducing the fuel flow to just above idle requirements.
    Lowell

Thanks, I did do some clamp tightening but it was on the coolant and oil system, every 20 hours they need to be checked. I'll look over the hoses today, it's painful to see the nice weather and be in a hanger.
    I found this guy making pumps he claims are the last Rotax pump you will ever need to buy, Has anyone seen these or have any experience with them?

http://www.billetpump.com/home2/home.html

Fuel pumps and regulators for the Aviation Industry — The first "really new" mechanical fuel pump design in more than ten years engineered for the Rotax 912 and 914 engines.

Designed for carburetor, fuel injection, and turbocharger applications. Patented variable displacement design, only flows as much fuel as the engine requires. No diaphragm, valves, rocker arm, block plate, or gaskets. Hardcoated 6061–T6 billet aluminum housing with stainless steel internal parts. Design to be the last Rotax fuel pump you will have to purchase.

United States Patent Number 7,318,416

I believe it's a 1994, aircraft is 1996, books are in hanger at the moment