Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Sunglasses

Default Pilot Sunglasses

I'm a new pilot and have heard that polarized sunglasses are not good for pilots. Why is that? I have tried both and seem to prefer the polarized type-better cloud definition. What am I missing?

Jim

Default Re: Pilot Sunglasses

Many LCD displays on your instrument panel (radios, GPS units, etc.) will be difficult to see due to the polarized sunglasses. Also, some windshields will display all sorts of strange stress patterns that are otherwise invisible if wearing non-polarized glasses.

That said, try out a pair of polarized glasses in the plane you normally fly and see if there are any issues.

-- Paul S

one of the things that ive read is that the colors arent correct using polarized glasses in a glass cockpit for the efis/eicas . not a problem for me since the only glass i have in my cockpit is that on my round instruments . i tried polarized glasses last summer and didnt care too much for them . seems to be a lot more variation in colors . like flying along looking down at the forrest , with regular glasses there is just a green forrest , with polarized glasses there is a bunch of differents shades of green forrest . if a guy is used to that then it shouldnt be a problem . me , i like the regular old sun glasses
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

paul , the stress stuff is pretty strange . i dont have any on the windshield but around all the pop rivits in the side windows . thought maybe i had some kind of xray glasses on the first time i used them in the plane .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Years ago my flight instructor told me not to use the polarized glasses in the cockpit as some of the steam gauges used polarization on the lenses. If you ever look through two polarized lenses at the same time and turn one of them 90 degrees to the other (ie cock your head), everything goes black. Try it with a couple pair of polarized glasses.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

It is difficult for me to see my GPS screen clearly with polarized lenses. I can see it clearly with non-polarized lenses. I've also noticed it is easier to see the "glint or flash" of another plane in the sky when looking for traffic with non-polarized lenses.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I love polarized lenses for fishing. They cut through the glare and I can see the fish rising to take a fly.

Every once in a while I would wear the wrong sunglasses to work. Everything was fine on the drive to the airport. I'd take off the shades when I went in the terminal. I wouldn't notice I had the wrong shades until I put them on as we pushed back from the gate. Oh bummer... this is going to be a long flight.

Yep, polarized lenses and EFIS displays do not mix. I'd turn my head to look at a CDU on the center console and the display would go black. I had to tilt my head to see the screen.

It's a real pain watching the sun rise at 20W doing the "sunglasses pushups" routine, lifting them every time I need to look at the CDU. Talk about a head buzz.

Back in the 70s it wasn't much of a problem for general aviation as very few devices in the cockpit had LCD displays. Now, there are more LCD goodies in the average Glassair than you will see in airline service.

So the answer is... leave the polarized lenses in the tackle box.
    The other recommendation I have is to get good UV resistant glasses. Yeah, I know, they cost more than the drug store variety. About $50 to $60. You can spend more if you insist on a designer label.

Just one question. How much is your vision worth?

Capt. "Squinty" (Retired)
    JP
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 11-08-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Finding a good pair of no-line bifocal non polarized sunglasses with minimal temples took me a while. I have since purchased these and I like them (they stay in my plane). Wish there were more options, to get a good set of Serengetis (my preferred flying glasses before needing bifocals) cut to do this becomes ludicrously expensive.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

For those that like the fit and style of Serengeti sunglasses but use prescription lenses, try this.
    Buy a pair of Serengeti shades from online discounters and take them to your dispensing optician. Have them pop out the Serengeti lenses and install your prescription lenses in place. The Serengetis will cost you about the same as a good regular frame $130 or so. They are nearly indestructible.

JP

ive been taking my prescription to walmart and having their lenses installed in my ray-ban and randolph frames . i still have single vision so the lenses are pretty cheap . since all my glasses are abused i dont feel so bad replacing the lenses .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa