Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change 912

Default Re: Oil Change 912

Harbor Freight Tool sells an oil 'vaccuum' that can be used to suck the oil out of the tank. It is relatively inexpensive. The one I have operates on 12 volt. Has a small enough hose that it fits down a dipstick tube. I originally bought it for oil changes on my Argo which is much hard to do than the Rotax.

Slyfox'
    The Safe Air drain will fit on your 4. I have it on mine. It is difficult to get a tube on it with a hot engine though (burn hands). I had to make a device using an aluminum tube with a short piece of plastic tubing over the end so that I could push the plastic tube over the drain tube from below the engine. I also have a small valve attached so that I can stop the oil flow and collect a small amount for oil sampling.
    However if I was to do it again,I would use the Curtis drain valve as it has 2 barbs on it which would make for easier opening.
    Dick Maddux
    Fox 4
    912UL
    Milton,Fl

I guess I don't buy the notion that if you do not remove lines you don't introduce air into the system. As soon as the oil in the tank is drained below the pickup tube the tube will drain and the normal siphon action will draw air into the system. I am not sure how much or if it matters but disconnecting the line and sealing it (with an available thumb) to prevent siphoning seems at least as effective. FWIW the method I use came from a certified Rotax tech who I brought the plane to as soon as I finished my 40 hours. I asked him to do a 100 hr inspection on the engine with me in tow and this was how he recommended changing the oil. Now I recognize a certified tech is just another fellow who works on engines (I don't subscribe to the myth of experts) but he did have more experience and education on the matter than I did.
    I also purchased one of the quick drain oil valves at Osh but it ends up too close to a large coolant line running under the tank.
    One final thought is that if I where not using 100LL I would be much less concerned with wiping the tank.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 10-06-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I use an oil extractor (Pela 6000). It is clean and simple with no issues.

OK, I just finished reading this thread as I am going to do an oil change today or tomorrow. I purchased an oil remove suction pump cylinder from NAPA. I WAS going to:
    1. Run the engine to bring up to operating temp.
    2. Pull the top off, suck the oil out then wipe it clean (making certain no foreign objects are inside).
    3. place the insides back and put the top back on.
    4. Change out the oil filter. I have always filled oil filters ( on cars) with a bit of oil put in the new one at change-out time as well as run a film of oil around the seal. It sounds like this may be a bit of a challenge to keep clean.
    5. Fill the oil tank to full ( As my oil tank is one that is cut down, and I have what I believe is the original dip stick, I really down't know where full is. Any suggestions are welcome).
    6. Hand prop the engine looking to find a burp...may or may not happen.
    7. replace the cap.
    Ready to fly?
    Lowell, you almost had me convinced not to take the top off the tank but it seems you are not sold yet either way. I do run 100LL w/ decalin, so do I open and wipe or don't I? Is this a guess I will guess I won't thing? Interested in hearing from the factory on this as well as others.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I just changed my oil for the first time since putting a Curtis quick drain on the oil tank. Wow does that make for a painless operation, changed the oil and filter in less than 10 minutes and didn't get a drop on me.
    I close the drain as soon as the tank is empty and re-fill instantly minimizing the amount of air pulled into the lines. I have decided to disassemble and clean the tank on the 100 hour changes.
    The only thing that would concern me slightly about sucking the oil out is you can't get the suction line to the bottom of the tank as there is that plate on the bottom that positions the screen. I'm hoping that draining from the bottom helps get most of the lead sludge out.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 04-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

just pull the plate out and clean it and the tank.

I just bought a NAPA oil sucker, too. It worked great. The model IV tank location makes it almost impossible to drain from the bottom.

I do almost exactly your plan on every change. LEAF says not to bother trying to fill the filter because you can't. There is little room in it to perfill with the new design checkvalve. Oil the seal and install.

One thing I do is to run the motor before putting the cowl back on to check for leaks or other problems.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

When rotax came out with the letter about their new filter 825 010 they mentioned not filling the filter before installing it , some new valve they installed in it . As I recall it was still printed on the filter itself to fill the filter but it can't be done . The new filters are nice , no draining back in the engine like the old ones
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks guys, more than one maiden voyage going on these days. Just didn't want to make any mistakes with this one. Chuck, thanks for the info on the Rotax filter...hadn't see that one.
    Dan
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ