Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Question Flight Maneuvers

Question Question Flight Maneuvers

Hello All

I have a Vixen long wing c/w 912UL IVO IFA prop. It is my understanding that spins are not allowed on these aircraft. Does anyone know if this restriction is for structural reasons, possible loss of control or legislative rulings?
    I recall when I did my PPL about 49 years ago in a Cessna 140 we had to become proficient in spin recovery as part of the course.

Probably getting too old for this, but just wondering. What maneuvers are OK? I suppose the Speedster configuration would be more suited to maneuvers.

Discussion appreciated from experienced KFer`s

Cheers

Don

Default Re: Flight Maneuvers

It was my understanding that spins were a 1g maneuver ( if recovered from correctly). I received my private only about 10 years ago. My instructor was in his mid seventies then and from the "Old School". He insisted that I learn spin prevention and also spin recovery. Needless to say, I became quite comfortable spinning an airplane by the time we were done. I did my private pilot training in a Citabria 7GCBC.

Cain B

Default Re: Question Flight Maneuvers

Don, I have a Series 5 Outback with an IO-240 that I spin on occasion. I did where a parachute when I did this in flight testing just in case. I found that in both left and right spins that my airplane enters them easily with the conventional entry procedure, and recovery from a 1 turn spin typically takes about 600 ft. The only casualty from the spins was that my battery which is located in my empennage (to offset the wt of the IO-240 engine) was torn from the stock hard points (adel clamps to hold the battery tray as per the kifox manual) and was basically hanging loose in the aft fuselage. I found this on a subsequent preflight and under the direction of a wise old A&P mechanic I replaced the battery box hold points with steel fixtures that aint going anywhere. I have spun the aircraft since this mod and everything has stayed where its supposed to be. Bruce Lina N199CL