Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mounting KF-IV on top of a pickup truck?

Default Mounting KF-IV on top of a pickup truck?

Has anyone done this? I started a thread asking about trailer ideas, and I can see how I can do that after reviewing past threads on the subject. But in thinking about this, it seems like using a system similar to the boat trailer conversion, you could mount a modified lumber rack on a pickup to take the plane on backwards. Tail ends up over the cab or hood, and the mains end up just above the truck bed, or even just behind the truck bed for a short-bed truck. Much longer ramps to get it up that high. But for a long bed, it could mean you could still tow something else too. Or you would not be subject to the speed limits signs for "when towing". Total height could be under 12 feet.

Again, has anyone done this.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Default Re: Mounting KF-IV on top of a pickup truck?

Some readers, but no information on anyone doing this. Ok. It is either not being done or no one wants to admit it here.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

The first question that would come to mind is how you'd tie such down securely in a truck bed, and the second would be local height permits - up here, you'd be pulled over on a regular basis for height checks, and for such an application would probably require at least two overheight permits (civic/city and provincial).

Personally, I'd find a trailer easier to load, not to mention the fact the authorities probably wouldn't even look at you twice up here if it were trailered, especially an enclosed trailer.

No over height permits needed. Top of my cab is 6', and with the main gear at or behind the truck bed the top of the tail should not be more than another 6' for a total of 12'. Trucks run all over with box height at 13'6" all the time. It is only 700 pounds, on top or a 7000 pound truck. A modified lumber rack could easily handle the weight, and provide sufficient tie-down security. Making it fit does not seem like a problem. Getting it up on top with a winch on the front of the truck ought to be easy enough, with long enough ramps. I was interested in whether anyone has done it.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder