Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire size comparison

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Tire size comparison

Hi , I have a model 5 taildragger with 600x6 mains. I am switching my current Lang 6" solid rubber tailwheel to an 8" pneumatic . I am thinking of going to a bigger size on my main wheels ,I was thinking of 800x6 's or 700x6's . My question is how much higher do these "stand" from the ground to top of tire? or from the ground to axle? What does the 800x6 mean, how is it measured? I know its a 6" rim , but the 800 I don't get .I am not planning on any extreme backcountry landings just my semi smooth grass farm strip and occassional pavement. Thoughts?

Default Re: Tire size comparison

8.00 x 6 stands for 8" wide. 6.00 x 6 is 6" wide.
    The 7.00 will not be enough taller to offset the cost of new tires. The 8.00 will be a nice step up for you. For some reason when you go to the 8.50 (8.5 inches wide) they are substantially taller than the others. I like the 8.50's myself, they were about 20.5" tall.
    Kelly

Thanks Kelly, So just clarifying ,the 8.5's you put on measure 20.5" from ground to top of tire ? and the tread width is 8.5" ? Any idea what an 8.00x 6 would measure in height, ground to top of tire ? What make of tire are you using and what kind of weight are they?

From ground to top of tire, yes.
    800's I think were near 17" tall, not much over the 600's original hieght.
    The interesting fact is that 600's are close to 15 lb for a pair and 850's are close to 15 lb each (I believe those numbers are with the wheels too). My memory is a little weak since it has been a few moons since I was modifying customers airplanes for a living. I was using the MrCreary AirTrac for weight and cost.
    I ran 26" Good Years on my Fox at one time and the spin up force was quite extreme, which started a significant pitching down on touch down. The 8.50's were not like that at all.
    Kelly

Thanks Kelly, I have a good idea now of what the numbers mean and the heights expected to gain. Now I got to thinking and I don't really know if going to the 800x6's for the gain of a couple inches is worth the bother ! All tires I am considering are McCreary they seem to be the lightest and most reasonably priced. I have the McCreary 600x6 Aero Trainer's right now. the 8.5 x6's will definitely make a difference! but do I really need them and the extra weight, that is something I will have to think about

The 8.50's will not hurt your performance for takeoff. The increase in angle of attack makes up for the weight. They are a great all around tire.

Landing.jpg

They do have tubes and they were on Matco wheels.
    I have now moved to the 8" tubeless set up because they are so Cool!

P1030079.jpg

kelly , are the 8.50s mounted on grove wheels and are you using tubes ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Awesome photos, Kelly. Thanks!

I guess my big question is, did you land on those rocks or did you taxi to them. Have often wondered if those tires could take them rocks. Where is this pic taken?
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I have the Mod 5 and went with the 800 X 6. The cost was about half of the 850 not to mention the savings on the tubes another half. I had 26" on a Cub and went to 850's for better asphalt performance and did consider it on the 5 but as I said I went with the 800. It is significantly wider than the 600 which added to soft field sand etc and it was about 1 1 1/2" taller to center of axle than the 600. the 850's are another 2" higher than the 800 to center axle and as I said double the price oh yes, they are also double the weight. If you don't need to be landing on large rocks etc (and I would then go with Alaska Bush tires) then the 800's for the price can't be beat. I also went with the 8" alaska bush wheel you mentioned and it made a significant difference.
    BigJohn
    Kitfox 5 Outback
    Rotax 912ULS With 1622cc Big Torque Zipper Conversion

Youtube BigJohn655
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BigJohn655

SPOT LINK:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...OgrFSDFu8qvG6Q