Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic to Spring gear improvements ?

Default Classic to Spring gear improvements ?

As you saw in my other post, i want to change from a classic landing gear to a spring gear for my KF2.

Is there anybody that made the deal and can explain the improvements ?

Less drag ?
    Less weight ?
    Larger gear so more stable ?
    More hard landing admissibility ?

thanks

Default Re: Classic to Spring gear improvements ?

More weight
    More width = better handling
    Stronger gear
    More stability when landing

I did this to my model 1. Excellent mod.

See it here:
    http://teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=114
    Last edited by SkySteve; 03-13-2011 at 07:43 AM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I have the "bush gear" on my plane. The weight of the gear was slightly less then the original and,it bolted right on using the original tires ,brakes and axles.
    The ground handling is FAR better than the original. I lost about 2-3 mph due to extra drag but I don't care as the advantages are there. The aircraft is more stable on approach also (outrigger effect ?)
    The gear span went from about 4 to 7 ft.
    I am EXTREMELY happy with it ! I purchased mine from HighwingLLC.
    The Grove gear is a fine gear also . It is a bit heavier.
    My "two cents"
    Dick Maddux
    Milton,Fl
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the grove gear on mine and I have installed it on another. It is a very easy installation and they send everything required to do the change. That is really nice. The price was extremely reasonable when you see how complete the kit is and how nice the quality is. The width is a big plus, especially when operating off airport or on skis. Also, not having to worry about bungees is great.

Dick,
    I am sure you are very happy with the Bush Gear; I would be too. But I think less weight than the original gear and more stability in the air are going to be hard to prove. However I would expect a shorter takeoff since you have more angle of attack.
    Just my observations,
    Kelly

catz631 is it true do you have more AOA taxiing compare to the original ?

I have the original ATV wheels (8") do you think the original axles will fit ?

What's sure what a F.....G look you have with it !

Did you keep your original wheels and axles ?

I too installed the Highwing Bush Gear. By far, hands down, the best investment I have done to the Kitfox. Unlike Dick, I gained 4 or 5 mph, but I faired every tube. Very nice handling on the ground, world of difference between the stock bungee gear. I used my original wheels and axles but had to make longer brake lines.

The Grove gear turned my Mk 4 from an excellent aircraft into a superbly brilliant one. Ground handling was hugely improved and it also looks the business.

I didn't notice any difference in flying performance.

One thing I would say is that you should think about how it will affect the airflow to your radiator. I had the standard sized rad on my 582 powered Mk 4 and the proximity of the gear to the radiator meant that it ran a lot hotter. I then installed a larger radiator and the problem was solved. This might just be a problem that was unique to my set up but when you see how close the gear horizontal section passes behind the radiator you can see that it does restrict the exiting air flow.

Just my thoughts.

>Dick,
    I am sure you are very happy with the Bush Gear; I would be too. But I think less weight than the original gear and more stability in the air are going to be hard to prove. However I would expect a shorter takeoff since you have more angle of attack.
    Just my observations,
    Kelly <

Kelly,
    Less weight is easy to prove . I weighed the old gear when I removed it and weighed the new gear prior to installing it.(all components removed and installed) It was about 1/2 to 1 lb lighter as I recall. I have exact numbers in my logbook.
    Stability on approach is of course a sense of feel. It was quite obvious to me that it was more stable. It was something I had not expected.
    I didn't notice any difference in takeoff length. The aircraft sits maybe an inch higher with the bush gear.
    Keep in mind I am not comparing the bush gear to the Grove. I am comparing it to the original bungee narrow gear.
    I had looked at the Grove but wanted to keep both the cost and the weight down. With the Grove I would have needed to buy new wheels ,axles and brakes. (a tidy sum)
    The 'bush gear' fit my needs perfectly. It looks "classic" (ala: J-3 Cub),is "plug & Play",no bungees and is stout enough for my use. (I don't land on sandbars,rocks,etc)
    Dick

I took a look at my logbook to see what the weights really were. I screwed up. The standard gear I removed weighed 13.2 lbs(without the wheels,brakes and axles) The bush gear I installed weighed 8.8 lbs. That's almost 5 lbs lighter than the standard gear. (paint would make it a little heavier)
    I believe(don't quote me) the Grove gear is over 20 lbs heavier than the stock gear (which is not much).
    As an aside, each wheel (including brakes,disc,calipers) weighed 18.8 lbs. This is the standard 8 inch wheel and brakes (see picture)
    So there you have it for the "For what it's worth dept."
    Dick