Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: another post about trailer advice...

Default another post about trailer advice...

I looked through the older threads, but didn't see find answers to these questions, so here they are. I'm looking for simple ways to transport my M2 to the local grass strip, about a 5 mi drive on smooth roads with slow speed limits. (The local t-hangers have started caving in on some planes...)

1) I'd like a trailer that's specific to the KF. I have a 4 place snowmobile trailer that I got with the airplane (thanks Aaron!) but it's not practical for weekly trips to the airport. Anyone in the southeast have one they don't need? Those of you who built your own trailers...you mind me asking how much $$ was invested in parts and materials?

2) Does anyone tow the airplane on it's main gear? Any special considerations that need to be addressed? How did you build the hitch?

Thanks!
    -Nick

Default Re: another post about trailer advice...

Hey Nick. I have a 1977 Holsclaw trailer. It has two axles supported by coil springs and new shocks. It rides real smooth and it light. I took a light I beam to span across the two frame tails at the rear of the trailer. This is for the mains to sit on. There is a low ramp for the tail wheel to level the plane a bit. The mains sit about 12 inches off the road. (Plane is tower backwards.
    I also installed a front hitch on my pick up truck to move it in and out of my garage. You won't believe how easy it is to maneuver a trailer in and out of the garage from the front. I only have a couple inches on each side of the wings when folded so this is no problem with the front hitch. -Lion8

Default Towing on main wheels

Does anyone do it? I'm looking for pictures, plans, or just a general description of a suitable tow hitch to be used with my KF2.

Right now it looks like I'm going to be towing the airplane on the main wheels until I have the time/$$ to build a good trailer.

I've contacted the factory about this, and the cost of buying a tow hitch and shipping it to Georgia is ghastly. Also, they won't (understandably) sell me the plans for the hitch.

I have been towing my Kitfox for 16 years on a trailer that I built to easily off and on load in 7 minutes from stopping the car to starting preflight.
    Trailer weighs approx. 500 #'s and I tow with a Honda Accord for short distances.
    It seems that Skystar offered 16 or so years ago a tow bar that was about 9 feet long and stradled the tail wheel spring and quick pinned into the 2 left to right tubes welded near the rear of my fuselage.
    I have towed my kitfox thousands of miles on vacation so a trailer was mandatory.
    You will need to come up with clamp on towing lights which would be easy and low cost.
    The rudder and elevator need to be clamped between carpeted boards when towing backwards.
    Also do not rely on the struts that hold the wings when folded.
    Bungee or tie the aileron mass balancers together to make sure a wing does not unfold.
    Also make struts that go from disconnected front spar to the float attach fittings while towing.
    Rear wing spars and carry thru spars have been damaged by the cantilever loads when towing with wings folded.
    I would modify a light weight boat trailer before towing on gear.
    If I can help call Herman Oregon 541 404 6464

I used a small boat trailer for mine and extended the tongue. I think I have about 300 bucks into it as I "liberated" the trailer from my brother since he had no boat to put on it.

I used aluminum ATV ramps to load and unload. They worded great on wheels, but I had to cover them with plastic for use with ski's. The winch is a cheap 89.00 auto parts store special that is just adequate for the job but in now way will pull its rated load of 2000#
    Attached Images Attached Images

Related question, what system do you use to keep the plane dry? With the wings folded the rear deck roof has to be off. So what do you do if you have to travel with the potential for rain? I have a pretty well designed open trailer system for transport, but the rain issue has me wondering what the best option is. I would hate to tarp it and have the tarp beat the skin to rags.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat