Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covering questions...

Default Covering questions...

Can't find the answers to these questions -

1 - The capstrips on our wings are 1 inch wide. I have not been able to find 1 inch wide reinforcing tape for stitching. Do I run 2 - 1/2 inch reinforcing tapes next to each other to cover the cap?

2- Also, the vert and horizontal stab ribs are pretty thin. Did you rib stich the stabs and if you did what size reinforcement tape did you use? The thinnest I see is 1/4 inch which seems too wide.

3 - Using the stewart system, how much materials should I expect to need as far as the glue, filler/UV blocker, and paint in quarts or gallons?

Yes just run 2 1/2 strips. I am not sure if that is in the book but I can say it came form a very very very good source. We also did it on our plane and I would bet on it.

I would bet on it being in the book also as the person who told us was a company person and we did't question them. We just did it, and they are very by the book.

Also on part 2. Poly fiber highly encouraged us to rib-stitch the both vertical and horizontal. But we only did the horizontal, and hind-site we would not have. Done the Horizontal.

Default Re: Covering questions...

George & Michael

2 1/2" strips for the 1" capstrips - it's in the book

Dave S

George,

Didn't finish typing the first time........I did not stitch the horizontal stab & vert stab - they are severely convex on both sides and the fabric pulls in real tight (that is if you have the airfoiled vertical stabilizer - if you don't have the airfoiled vertical stabilizer I would certainly ribstitch that part) I also ribstitched the elevator - that is flat on both sides.

I would not use reinforcing tape any wider than the ribs - it'll pull dimples into the fabric. Sharp razor blade on the tape should take care of the roll of tape if it is too wide.

In any case - I would follow the advice of the covering manufacturer - can't say that I have any experience with the stewart system.

Dave S

I am also considering Stewarts on my 1200 rebuild (90% sure that is the way I will go).

I spoke with them at Airventure last summer about covering my IV-1200. They have a material list needed to cover a Kitfox on file and can put together a "kit" to use their materials.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I used Stewarts and am very pleased with the end results; first time builder as well.

Lane
    Attached Images Attached Images

An easy method to cut nice narrow and straight reinforcing tapes for the horizontal: You need a flat piece of glass. Cut some reinforcing tapes into the lengths you need. Take the backing off the tape and stick it to the glass. Use a razor blade and a straight edge to cut it into the width you need. Peal the cut strips off the glass and stick them onto the horizontal ribs.

I read about this after my plane was finished covering. I didn't stitch the tail feathers but I would have if I had known this method. It gives the plane that "Attention to detail by the builder" look.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

lst-- That is a really nice looking cover job. I'd love to hear more about your experience good and bad with the Stewarts System.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Something must have changed. I recovered my KF wing last year and had no problem getting 1" wide reinforcing tape. I got all my supplies locally from Spencers aircraft supply at Pierce County Airport, Graham, WA.

Regarding Stewarts Systems, I just finished my Pacer wings and I used the following:

1 Gal EkoFill ( have maybe 1 pint left )
    2 Quarts Glue ( have maybe 2 cups left )
    1 Gal Eko Poly ( have about 1 pint left )
    22 yards Ceconite ( have about 4 yards left, enough to do the flaps and ailerons )

The Kitfox wings are almost the same length but a little narrower. I have a bunch of pictures on Flicker of the whole process.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitfoxscott/sets/

I am very happy with Stewarts Systems. Worked well for me and was pretty straight forward.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it very much!

I'll keep a look out for 1 inch tape.