Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My next project. Anybody haul their's folded and forward?

Default My next project. Anybody haul their's folded and forward?

Is it better to haul the KF backward, or just easier to trailer that way?

I bought my second KF today and should be picking it up on Friday. It is backed into a hangar, folded, and on floats. I have a 4-place snowmobile trailer I'm going to haul it home on, and it would be easiest to load it frontward.

Would there be problems with the wind blowning in the wings if I do this? I have a 4 hr drive home, so maybe I would be better off spinning it around once it's on the the trailer?

Any input would be appreciated here....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by foxfever; 11-16-2010 at 09:25 PM.
    Aaron

Default Re: My next project. Anybody haul their's folded and forward?

Aaron,

If a person is thinking about what the wind might do blowing into the open wing root - should be easy enough to duct tape some covers over the open end.

One comment - the photo does not show any wing root braces between the front spar and bottom of the fuselage - That is something you want in place to assure the wing is not damaged by wind load or bouncing on the road during the recovery trip.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear

Depending on the trailer axle location you may want to tow forward. This will keep your center of gravity well forward of the axle. If you go backwards it can put the trailer CG aft of the axle with a negative tongue load. That condition is very unstable.

Dave and John have some good points. I'd like to add a couple more if I may.
    Towing forward is ok so long as you don't get into any situation where you develop a 'wing sock' situation, like opening in the fuselage or wing tips. Secure the rudder well. Secure or better yet, remove the prop. Tie the stick good to place the elevator up position for forward towing.
    John mentioned the trailer cg. Good point. If this is the case, you can place enough weight forward of the axle to put 10% on the trailer hitch. (sand bags or what ever) Torsion axles ride real nice. Coil springs with shocks ride just as good if not better. I towed mine tail forward (from N.C. to N.J. on all the interstates with no problem. I used a dual axle holsclaw boat trailer I modified for the Kitfox. It has coil springs with shocks. It handles nice. Hope this helps- Tom(Lion8)

Ha Ha, looks like the prop is already half way removed!

It was designed to be hauled backwards. With the wings folded, most of the weight will transfer to the tongue of the trailer. I moved mine on a 2 place snowmachine trailer so you will not have any issues moving on a 4 place.

The rear float strut is mounted where the wing brace would normally go. You will have to modify the brace in order to use it.

If you haul it facing forwards, cover those wing roots or it will, more than likely, balloon the covering off the ribs.

Thanks for the replies.

CG is not an issue on the trailer, I have plenty of deck to place it where it needs to be. I have first hand experience towing tail heavy trailers. They keep you going very slow if you want to stay on the road!

How critical are the L.E. spar support rods? Would it do damage to go down a nice interstate without them?

I guess I should be able to make something based off of the project in my shop right now...

Thanks for the response.

Oh, and don't most KF's have a 33" prop on them?
    Aaron

If you have to, get some 1/2" conduit and rig something up to support the front spar. This is very critical. All of the twisting force (even on a smooth road there is a lot!) will be forced through the rear spar mounting bolt/hole and will damage it.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have been thinking about this a bit.

I can get the measurements I need off of the fuselage in my garage as long as the purple line, A-C, is the same length as the red line, B-C, minus the wall thickness of the spar.

Any reason that won't be right?

wing support.jpg
    Aaron

I made my support braces out of conduit but also welded a "turn-buckle" on each of them. This way they are fully adjustable but also can be lengthened after installation in order to put slight upward pressure on the spar for traveling. Also, drain all fuel.

Good luck with your project.

Don