Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer design advice

Default Trailer design advice

I'd like a trailer for my Model IV. I've been looking for a deal on a used boat trailer to convert but having failed to find anything that I like, I'm now considering building one. I have all the tools necessary but am unsure about the design. I'm including a couple of drawings of what I have in mind. It's based on a number of trailers that I found via Google but those pictures lacked detail so I had to fill in the blanks. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Trailer design advice

Looks just like most of the other "tail high" trailers I've seen and great starting point.

(Just need to add tool boxes, fuel tanks, sleeper, bathroom, )
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'm particularly unsure about the cradle for the airplane's wheels. I'm wondering if I should go with some kind of tube structure. Anyone have pics of a similar trailer showing details of this area that they can share? Also, I was thinking about using 2inch square tube for the main frame. Is this enough?

PropellerHead,
    Many of the designs I've seen have a horizontal section at the top of the tail wheel channel with a stop so the tailwheel doesn't roll off. Also you need a way to support the tail while unloading the tailspring. Some have a pin arrangement that goes through the tow bar attach point for this purpose. With the wings folded and some fuel in the tanks, the tailspring will be overloaded, especially when hitting bumps in the road.

Also, most designs seem to have a pivoting ramp for the main gear and provision for nylon tie down straps to go over the circumference of the wheels.

-- Paul S

After trailering for every flight the past 3 1/2 years I say...Put a lot of thought into making loading, securing, and unloading as quick and simple as possible if you will trailer for every flight. There is a lot of monkey motion involved.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I reworked the cradle bit. I decided I didn't like the sheet metal idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I built a trailer using the running gear from an old Boler travel trailer. It has 14" tires and rubber torsion bar suspension. The hitch draw-bar is 2"square tubing built to extend as necessary depending on A/C type.
    The sloping tube (to maintain level travel) has a sliding rack that pins to the two main "carry through tubes" at the lower longerons just ahead of the tail skid. I have a Vixen but the setup is the same on a taildragger. A winch mounted at the top pulls the A/C on easily. The frame is lowered at the rear in order to have the A/C wheels only about 4" off the road for good handling. I can load/unload in minutes. Most of the time is spent fueling/unfueling and pre-flighting.
    I have some pics,if anyone is interested I will forward to your email address.
    I also built a box on the trailer for fuel, tools,tie-downs,etc. I brought the A/C home from CA and also traveled for every flight before I was lucky enough to find a hanger to share.
    Don

Pics would be awesome. Why not post them here for posterity?

I just posted a FEW pics of my trailer on the pictures & albums section. Never did this before. Hope it works.
    Don

Our Trailer