Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox 2 Questions

Default Kitfox 2 Questions

Hi ,I have a question on the position of the flaperon lever on a kitfox 2.When the flaperons are in the neutral or level position is the flaperon lever straight forward and parallel the the cabin floor boards or is it angle up? Also was wondering if the flaperons come from the factory totally complete or is there riviting to be done. The kit we got was mostly done but still having problems setting up the flaperons and wondering if the previous owner made any mistakes on them.If any KF 2 owners have a picture of there control system and bellcrankmixer could you please send me it, Thanks Willis

Default Re: Kitfox 2 Questions

i've got a KF2 and my neutral position is about 1 inch up from the end of the lever to the airframe tube coming from the firewall to the under of the seat.

Am i clear ? Will take you a picture when i'll be less busy.

Fly safe

I think I understand, I can't get to the plane to check but from memory it sounds like your flaperon lever would be angle downward.Did your flaperons come compete in your kit or did you have to assemble and rivet them?

Thanks for the reply

Don't know, i'm not the builder ask John ?

See you

In my M2 the little handle points up at about a 45 deg angle in cruise at about 75 mph at near gross weight. Since I don't have elev trim, I'm still old fashioned and use it as a pitch trim system too so it changes according to speed, load, etc.

Chris

Thanks for the reply guys,the flaperon adjusting is driving me crazy trying to figure out were the problem is.Still appreciate any pics of kf2 control system if anyone has some

can send you the official documentation if you want ?

Thanks for the offer,but we do have the manual.all of are adjustments are at max on the rods,The only thing we came up with so far are lenghtening the 10/32" pitch rods(FRU-47). But with full flaps the left and right movement on the stick jams up.
    The bellcrankmixer does look like the one in the manual so we kinda ruled that out. The flaperon contol horn also seems to be put together properly so were still scrachting are heads, thanks for the repy's

It is documented in the KF2 operators manual and I can attest to it, that full flap extension drastically limits the roll input (Left/Right stick movement). I believe that someone on this forum recommends that a stop of some kind be installed to limit flap extension for this reason.

When adding flaps for landing, I sort of self limit mine to about half the available extension unless it's a glassy smooth day and I know I won't need any drastic roll inputs. It can get pretty scary on a gusty day with full flaps and very little roll authority, limited by that ingenious but slightly flawed bellcrank mixer.

Any of you model 3, 4, and later owners out there have comments about this? I wonder if the changes that were made in those models to improve yaw stability had any effect on this problem?

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris,thats good to know that it is normal at fullflaps,
    On our plane the FCT-24 rod is adjusted as short as it can go and the FRU-47 rods are made up an extra inch more than the originals.We couldn'tget enough length out of the original FCT-24 rods. Now our nuetral flaperon position is about 40 degress up from floor boards.Thanks for the help

Willis