Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brake help needed

Default brake help needed

All,

I'm working on a project with Grove attached, the brakes are still in the box, though.
    Two questions:
    1. the 'receiving' (that is, top of the gear) brake line is pointing backwards - is that OK? It might be more practival to have it on the frontside. The picture shows aft-to-front, you can see the (blue) cap on the brake line receiver
    2. The brakes (Grove part nr 36-2 Mfg 2-64) fit with two large pins into the wheel ass'y., but they seem not to be attached! I can get things working allright, but there will never be space between the pads and the wheel, so to see.
    The pic shows top-down: the top two axels are put into a bus, but they are not attached - apart from beeing held by the brake disk.

Am I dumb and not noticing something, or what?
    The Grove site shows me pictures of brake systems that all have a sort of backing-plate to attach them to the axle some way.

Any reaction highly app.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HansLab; 10-08-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Default Re: brake help needed

some pictures would help to understand your set-up.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

on my model IV 1050 , the brake lines go thru the fabric and attach to the gear on the aft side with a 90 degree fitting and short nipple . at the wheel ,the brake lines comes out of the gear leg with a 90 degree fitting and go aft to the top of the brakes . hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

It does, Chuck! But if I' not mistaken your brake is atttached to the axle, isn't it? Howcome mine is not ;-(

Open the box! The answers are inside.
    What part you are not thinking about is called the torque plate; it attaches to the gear through the same bolts as the axle. The brake caliper will then slide into the two holes in the torque plate. It will slide in and out of it until the brake disc is in place to hold it.

it kind of depends what axle you have as how the brake plate is attached . mine has grove axles , which has two mounting flanges . one to attach the axle to the gear and another for the brake plate to bolt to . i beleive you can see it in the pictures that there are two flanges . if the axle doesnt have the outbard flange then a whole different spacer setup is required to make the wheel/ brake disk fit correctly with the brake
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I see what you mean, N82HB, but again: the brake calliper slides into the holes that are in the backing plate (attached to the wheel), but the calliper is not fixed! it just moves in and out - how to ajust the b.. thing in this way..?

On the pics CAP01 send you can see the calliper beeing attached to the axle, on my pic you can see it being loose...

I believe that the caliper is meant to float in and out (it does on my setup) which means it can contact (but not grab) the disk when disengaged.
    Is this what you are referring to?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

the brake plate is attached to the gear leg or axle flange depending on your axle and spacer arrangement . and the two brake caliper pins slide in and out of the brake plate bushings when brakes are applied or released . they dont move very much , only enough to pinch the disk and allow braking . if you do have a brake plate installed the caliper will be loose on the disk until you get brake pressure to extend the piston . from the picture i cant see if the brake plate is installed .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks for your explanation, I think the way you put it is how it works, but that is my concern: the brakes are being held against the disk by pressure (even when not braking), so won't they wear very, very fast?