Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield fitting

Default Windshield fitting

Hey, can anyone tell me what kind of tape i can use between the ribs and the winscreen when mounting it on?
    There was some old stuff glued on, lookes like rubber of some sort.

I have no clue what to use, it's a singlepiece lexan canopy.

Thanx

Default Re: Windshield fitting

i'm gonna change my windshield too.
    I'm interested in all ideas about that change.

To have a good fitting will i start from the rear flat part behind our head and finish to the part near firewall ?

I bought a 2 mm part of Lexan is it ok or a 1,5 mm should have been enough ?

Best regards

Watch out for stressed Lexan and gasoline. There are two Rans S-6 aircraft in my area and they both have shattered /very severly crazed windshields where gas spilled onto the curved portions of the windscreen where it meets the wing root at the windshield top(flat Lexan was bent,not formed) It happened immediately when the gas hit it during fuel tank filling and windy conditions. Most amazing thing I have seen. I didn't know gas would do that !
    One guy told me that it was the second windshield he has replaced (now will be a third)
    Dick

Another reason I like my molded plexi stuff...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

GDN,
    I am sorry that no one has attempted to answer your question. You would think after 165 people have looked at this thread, someone with this experience would step up and give you a little help...After all it is a simple
    practical question that those who have gone b-4 would know the answer to. I guess folks are just too busy to help a brother out.
    I have not attached my windshield yet, but I have been told it's a good idea to start at the front. It makes sence to me that you would want a nice tight fit up under the top cowling, then work your way back from there. Perhaps if someone with the know-how could confirm this or suggest how, it would be appreciated I'm sure.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Here is my take on installing the windshield, haveing done at least 4 on Avids, and 1 on my Kitfox 4. I fastened the top on first of all. That way it is fixed in place and you can pull the front down and wrap the sides around much easier. If you are replacing an existing one, use the old one for the pattern, drill out all the holes, ect with the new and old clamped togeather. As far as the foam between the ribs and lexan, I had a roll of foam that came with a preformed plexiglass windshield (that broke way to easy while being installed) that I used on my Kitfox, but I've also not used any on the Avid. At any rate, if you can find some 3/4" wide by 1/8" or 1/16" thick with a sticky side to it, that should work fine as well. Take care, Jim Chuk

Spook,
    What you are describing sounds like a butyl tape. I have used this tape many times as a glazier with glass. I am guessing it would work with the plastics, however I'm not sure if there are any chemical reactions between teh two. Anyone else have the right stuff?
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

If you are asking what to use between the windshield and the center rib, I used white foam weather stripping. It had an adhesive side and the other side had sort of a saw tooth pattern longitudinally - two strips side by side 1/2" wide. Betweem the false ribs and lexan, I used nothing. This was on a Model IV.

Lowell

Please don't use butyl tape. I own an autoglass shop and can attest to you that this would be a very bad idea.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I am no expert on this, but this is what I did on my SS 7. Mine is a new build, so may be a little different. Preformed Lexan windshield, started at the front at actual install (no cowling installed). Used 3M window chaulk strips on door posts channels (installed first) and butt rib cap strips (installed second)and aft support (installed last), this stuff does not harden and will form to the mating surfaces as pressure is applied. Seals and holds tight and clean up of excess with mineral spirits on a rag (easy on amount put on the Lexan). Hope this helps some.

Dick B