Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF111 altitude

Default KF111 altitude

I have a KF 111/582 on amphibs. Will be on a flight this weekend requiring me to clear a pass at 5000ft. Plane with fuel and pass. will put me at gross, ie 1050 lbs. Will I have a problem? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Don

Default Re: KF111 altitude

You can answer the question yourself.

Have you ever been above 5000 feet with your KFIII with floats before?
    Were you at max weight?
    Was the rate of climb adequate?
    What was the temperature?
    Are you comfortable with mountain pass flying?
    What is the weather forecast?
    Are winds predicted that might produce down drafts?
    Does the pass have adequate room to turn around?
    Do you have an escape route?
    Have you done steep turns at 5000 feet or higher?
    When was the last time you practiced full-power stall recovery with floats installed? In a steep turn?

If you are comfortable with all of the above, I see no problem.

If you need to know the aircraft performance cushion, you can take your KFIII up today and climb directly above the airport. Confirm the performance and do some airwork while you're up there. Don't wait until you are in a mountain pass to find out the aircraft can't climb and can't turn around without stalling.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

JOHN: tHANKS FOR THE INPUT AND ADVICE. WILL HAVE NO PASSENGER NOW SO WELL UNDER GROSS. WILL GET TO ALTITUDE HALF AN HOUR BEFORE THE SUMMIT OF THE PASS. BROAD VALLEY UP TO THE SUMMIT AND BROAD VALLEY ON OTHER SIDE. THE ACTUAL SUMMIT IS ONLY ABOUT ONE QUATER OF A MILE. WEATHER IS PERFECT. HAVE DRIVEN OVER THE PASS MANY TIMES, SO KNOW THE TERRAIN VERY WELL. I WILL FIND OUT WAY BEFORE THE PASS IF I AM STRUGGLING WILL 5000FT. ANY DOUBT WHAT SO EVER I WILL TURN BACK. YOUR ADVICE IS GREAT AND MUCH APPRECIATED. I STARTED FLYING AT 16 AND AM 71 NOW SO NOT TOO PRONE TO TAKING CHANCES.
    DON

Dirty Harry had it figured out. "A man's gotta know his limitations."

It sounds like you have your head screwed on for more than a place to hang a hat. You'll do fine. Let us know how the trip went. I'll bet the flying will be beautiful. Save some of the walleye for me.

John