Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jacking solutions for Kitfox's

Default jacking solutions for Kitfox's

Lowell,
    How about inventing something to jack the wheel in the air for the bush gear ? This sure would be helpful for checking the brakes,greasing the bearings,etc.
    I currently use a small floor jack and use the 1/4 inch of protruding axle on the other side of the wheel. It is VERY precarious ! I was thinking about a device like I used to use on my Cessna 120. It attached to the spring gear with a couple of bolts and made a flat surface to put a jack under.
    Maybe a split tube,device with a flat plate welded on and attach it to the down tube where it attaches to the axle cluster ? You are a great inventor !
    Dick

A couple photos to get the Kitfox jack ideas flowing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks TJ ! What a simple solution ! I need a brain transplant.
    Dick

Default Re: jacking solutions for Kitfox's

I have a similar question for the Grove gear. The brake line fitting at the bottom of the gear is right in the way of a very good jack point. There are are clamp or slip on jack points but if I do leg fairings ala Ray Ward these won't work either.

In the olden days just after the split that saw two partners go separate ways, that resulted in two competing companies, Grove and Hammerhead, I bought my spring gear. As I understand it the Hammerhead guy was the one that developed the gun drilling equipment and took that with him. I bought the Hammerhead gear as I didn't want to pay extra for the gun drilling.

Now to the point. I didn't like the brake line exit at the bottom of the gear leg with the plastic pigtail because I thought it to be in a very vulnerable location. I asked if it could exit on the back of the gear leg. The answer was yes. They drilled and tapped a hole exactly between the bolts holding the axle. The hole intersected the gun drilled hole and a 1/8" NPT plug was used to close out the bottom hole. In ten years and 900 hours including a hard landing that destroyed the airframe but didn't touch the gear, it never failed. As for the plug, I know somewhere there are plugs that use a hex head hole for tightening if you don't want the square plug extension interfering with the jack. This could be a fairly easy retrofit and a worthy annual project.

Lowell

For the Grove gear here's what I did. You can also search the archives for many posts on ways to jack up various types of gear setups.

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Andy & all,

I don't want to embarrass anyone; but I would hate it more if someone got hurt and nobody said anything.

The wood blocks for the jack to hold the gear look great. Makes a nice recess to hold the top of the jack and keep it from sliding.

Take a look at the orientation of the cement blocks - with the cement blocks on their sides. Cement blocks have very little strength on their sides - if using cement blocks for this purpose - put them top side up and put a 2 X 10 under the jack - better yet - stick to wood blocks. Cement has tremendous compression strength - very little tensile strength - on their sides the blocks can easily be placed under tension between the webs and crush under very little weight.

They guys who do hand chops to break cement blocks and impress the rest of us hit them on the sides - the weak point between the web - never see them karate chopping a cement block from the top.

No offense - just don't want anyone getting hurt.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Good catch on the blocks Thanks! I'll swap them around next time I use them.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

I have a set of jacks that I got from Airdale that work wonderful. They go from the floor to the lift strut attach point on the wing (the front to rear tube connecting the two lift struts). Much safer than a lego-style stack of wood blocks and a bottle jack...

Brett designed them to lift an Avid/Kitfox to attach floats.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I would like some pics of said jacks.. I have come up with some creative ways to get the floats on and off, but if he has a set of jacks that work well, I would be very interested in getting a set.. Especially since I will be coming off floats soon!

You have my email if you dont want to post for all to see.