Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying with doors open

Default Re: Flying with doors open

Thanks Andy ! Thats what I was thinking

i wonder if there is much difference with the doors removed as opposed to flying one open ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

cap01, Regarding?

Remember that anything under the wing will effect the basic aerodynamics. Something to consider is that old lift equation that we love so much (L = CL x 1/2p x v2 x S). If you create drag, you'll need more velocity (thrust) to maintain Speed and Altitude. What you're essentially doing, IMHO, is adding drag and disrupting the boundry layer thus making that wing less effective. Perhaps someone that actually owns a Kitfox and flies w/ doors open vs. off will speak directly about that aircraft. Just some food for thought!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Yes nearly did that mistake yesterday. found my phone halfway out my pocket when i remembered this good advice.

Otherwise had great first doors open flight in shorts and t-shirt in 21°c (70°f) Very unusual to have such a warm day in Iceland.

Iceland won't be very icy for much longer with those kind of temps!!

Glad my comment saved your phone.

I used to take the door off of my Piper Cub J-5 (Cruiser) and never noticed much change in performance. It was fun flying and I did it often in warm weather. So is the Kitfox capable of door off flying?

i tried a short flight with the left door removed . was a real hoot as long as it lasted . it was 70 degrees and sunny when i took off and got really cold once i got in the air with all the breeze of flying . takeoff performance appeared normal as did landing . didnt cruise above 80 , nothing strange there either , except for being cold . the view is certainly better without the door . should be way better for taking pictures , no reflections in the plexiglas . next time it will have to be allot warmer oat or ill have to wear more clothes
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I've added a light weight nylon chord tied between the top and bottom of the shock absorber type door holder which limits the travel of the door so it can't touch the underside of the wing. This also keeps scratches off the bubble doors from vibrating against the wings during taxi with doors open.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Thumbs up Re: Flying with doors open

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the advice, I now have about 5 hrs of flying with the doors open. I started my first flight with both doors open with no ill afects ( the t/o roll was a little longer then usual). Its the only way to fly on hot summer days, and great for taking pictures.