Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy Ailerons

Default Re: Heavy Ailerons

Check your seat pans is the gist of this one. I'll do it next time at the hangar.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Larry,

I have few questions about your seat pan cracking.

Is your seat pan one with the factory storage compartments molded-in. (one piece.) A seat pan with an optional seat storage box(es). ie builder installed; or, no seat storage box?

My SS7 seat pan came with factory molded-in seat storage and it appears to add a lot of stiffness to the seat pan by providing additional webbing. However, I do see a potential area on the left side where getting in and out of the aircraft could crack the pan. Based on your experience and a few other reports I may look into beefing up the seat pan in the area over the aileron push rod.

Thanks for the follow-up report. It's always good to hear you found the problem and it was an easy fix.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Larry,
    ACF-50, the little samples that are handed out at OSH are great for lubing flaperon bushings, rod end bearings, and tail surface hinges.
    See you at the show!

JimS

Jim-- Got the camper set up today (in the mud!!) in the usual place. Still planning on flying over to the UL Field on Sunday Morning with the Outstanding Champ.

John-- I do NOT have the under-seat storage boxes. One of the things that I did (on a suggestion by JimS) was to add a reinforcing block between the seat bottom and underlying tubes. The seat now partially sits on the lower tubes rather than only hanging on the front and rear edges. Adding the under-seat storage boxes will do the same, I think.

My seat pan delaminated where the reinforcing rib is bonded to the seat pan. The split started at the front of the pan, just behind where the seat hangs on the bungee truss. I re-fiberglassed this area and added more cross-weave layers to hopefully keep this from happening again...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos