Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radial Kitfox First Flight

Default Re: Radial Kitfox First Flight

After having learned to fly a taildragger in a C120, Flaps? I thought that is what a slip is for!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Why are you guys all afraid of the flaps on these planes??

It is a feature of the airframe design and works very well. Do you not take your car out of 1st gear ever, too?

I use full flaps when ever I want to come in real short, less flap for longer rolls and no flaps in high winds. My plane has no trim (yet) so I must use the armstrong method. I even use a burst of full flap to take off short.

I have never had an issue with inversion or any quirky handling...
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 05-17-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Why are you afraid of a slip??
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I use the slip all the time WITH flaps deployed! I use all of the aerodynamic tools that this plane offers to get it to perform, not just one...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I don't like the feel of the flaps. Cuts down the effectiveness of the ailerons. If you saw the way i fly you would understand. I do a short approach on every landing. I can slow the plane down very well with out the flaps, I generally do a base to final just before the approach of the runway, I'll slip, well I call it a slice, and do it well, right through the trees, flying at it's best is what I call it. The flaps are just too much trouble, I spend all my thoughts and time flying the plane, I don't have any room in my brain for the flaps. If I'm a little to fast I level the wings and put in hard right rudder until slowed to what I want, than I staighten and hold 3ft off until it just about stalls and than pull the stick full back, it stalls and kind of floats down on all three, like landing in a pillow. Very fun.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 05-18-2010 at 06:54 AM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thumbs up Re: Radial Kitfox First Flight

I have found that with me and half tanks, I am flying near the forward CG limit. Using half flaps at about 60MPH approach speed I am also at the nose up trim limit. If I use full flaps, I am having to push about 5-10 lbs forward stick. I suspect that when I test other CGs, the trim will be more in range with and without flaps.

you don't happen to mean that you need to put in rear stick at 5 to 10lbs. Meaning that you need more rear stick to prevent nose drop. That's what happens when I use full flaps, the nose gets real heavy. I just assume use no flaps and full rear trim, electric in elevator, and use slight stick pressure for landing.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

oh and to add. I have used flaps in all configurations. It does get off the ground real quick with full flaps, I just find that I don't need that, the airplane gets off real quick with flat prop and 100 horse rotax engine. Of course I'm a little guy that only weighs 175 and the plane weighs around 640dry, so I have no problem.

not to mention it is fun to take off from the sod with bringing the tail up and than bouncing the mains off a bump and run ground effect until the speed is up and pull up and out, this is real fun also.

GAWD I LOVE MY PLANE
    Last edited by Slyfox; 05-18-2010 at 10:28 AM.

I Love Mine too!!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    you don't happen to mean that you need to put in rear stick at 5 to 10lbs. Meaning that you need more rear stick to prevent nose drop. That's what happens when I use full flaps, the nose gets real heavy. I just assume use no flaps and full rear trim, electric in elevator, and use slight stick pressure for landing.
    Right, I meant "pull with about 5-10 lbs aft stick" duh .....