Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Covering around rear LG bracket

Default Covering around rear LG bracket

Does anyone have some construction pictures of a year 2002 or later classic 4 fuselage around the rear LG bracket?

This bracket is in the middle of the lower rear strut carry though and is made as a center support for a rear main gear. Problem is it hangs strait down, is big, and I don't see how to fabric around it. Anyone have a picture?

Also, I need to attach the lower wooden stringer there and since the round tube is covered by the bracket, there isn't a convenient place to bond the forward end of the stringer. Again, anyone have a picture?

Thank you much,

Mark Napier

Default Re: Covering around rear LG bracket

Mark, if someone doesn't have pics of that area before this weekend I'll try to get a couple photos of my Model 4 Classic tri-gear for you.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I spent Saturday making a sheet metal bracket to cover this area and provide an attachment for the stringer. Very light but a lot of work. I got to use my sheet metal brake "in anger" for the 1st time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View of the bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark,

From the pictures, I suspect there are only three or four Model IVs out there with that landing gear configuration. I think there is one on Barnstormers and two others in Idaho as well. Not sure how many more. It is a custom design and you are one of the designers it appears. I know that Rans uses polycarbonate for that application, but the way you solved it appears fine to me. I think the only advantage with the poly is that it doesn't tend to warp when worked and lays a bit flatter.

Lowell