Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox SS vs RV-12`

Default Kitfox SS vs RV-12`

Has anyone gone through the internal debate between a kitfox SS and an RV-12? Pro's - con's, ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Default Re: Kitfox SS vs RV-12`

The rv12 has the wing on the bottom.

The kitfox has the wing on the top.

For backfield I prefer the wing on the top.

The rv12 is another rv series, I have the rv7a.

THe kitfox, well I have one of those also.

If I had to go for one airplane with the flying I do and speed is not a question, the kitfox wins hands down.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Yeah - I like the idea of the folding wing a little better than removeable. Speed is nice becasue of the x-country, but looking at the LSA is there much of a difference in the speed range?

Bob

I wouldn't think the rv12 goes much faster than the kitfox if any. I'm sure you can go to the vans web site and compare the speeds to the kitfox on their web site.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Next I guess you'll just have to go fly each one. For me hands down would be the kitfox.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

The 12 goes right up to the LSA limit, where the Kitfox is more like 120mph. But then we are talking about 10 mph, is that really going to make that much of a difference in your travels? Doubt it. and this comes from someone who was used to 185mph in my RV.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Thanks!

Yeah Andy I recognize the name from your RV9 build site. I too started a 9 and like the RV approach to kits. Now that i'm thinking about a possible switch to LSA-ish aircraft I've been looking around. Do you still have the 9? Why the switch for you and what are the pros/cons you've run into so far between the 9/kitfox? (Speed aside).

Thanks,

Bob

THe things I find different is the rudder. The RV rudder is for lazy people, it's basically inaffective at least compared to the kitfox. I can literally throw the kitfox around with the rudder, the rv, different story, the faster I go the less it does. slipping is harder, really have to push on the rudder to make it work. The kitfox, slips are fun and easy, the rudder really works. The kitfox has a stall of around 40 on landing and touch down about 35. Rv I put over the numbers at 60kts I can land that one without bounce or sqeek, but is much faster. The kitfox I can move from touch down spot lets say and last second move er over to the left side and touch down with no effort. Like I said the rudder allows this, the RV much harder to spot land with a change of spot at the last second. Don't get me wrong, I love the rv, I do a bunch of low and slow with it. But hands down, kifox. My wife summed it up the other day. She says that when I fly the kitfox, she knows it without me saying, the smile is bigger.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

LOL - The smile is bigger! There's a good play on RV!

I like the idea of folding wings instead of removeable (what do you do with them once you take them off?).

I also like the idea of Tail wheel versus nose and switchable between the two. 150 pounds possible in the baggage area versus 50.

Although having everything plug and play is an upside.

Bob

Of course there are fun things in the RV, like zipping past someone that took off in front of me, telling the tower I'm going to pass on the right side, by the time I catch up to him I'm doing 160kts, pass him like he's standing still. Don't get me wrong, the rv has it's fun as well. I just have the bigger smile in the kitfox when it comes to horsen' around and having fun.