Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Aerocet float parts?

Default Aerocet float parts?

I presently have a KitFox 3 on Aerocet Amphib floats. I am in need of the push pull cables used to retract the main wheels. I've contacted aerocet with no answer so far, does anyone out there know who manufactures these cables or where to get them? Thanks

Default Re: Aerocet float parts?

Kit,
    I used to have a set of Aerocet anphibs, and sold them to a guy in Canada. He used electric linear actuators mounted in the floats to raise and lower the gear. It sounds to me like a GREAT idea, but I don't know how it worked out for him. He didn't use the cables, so he may be willing to sell them. I am pretty sure that his name is Ron Seyffer and his number is (705)689-5528.

Another posibility is a guy named Jim Fahey. He bought the molds, plans, stock, rights, and everything else for the aeroset 1100's from aerocet. He had some Old New Stock of some of the parts, but was looking for someone to buy the whole shootin' match, so he may not have anything left. His number is (920)493-4777.

I sure hope that this information is correct, and that I didn't mix them up with someone else, but at least it's worth a shot. If I am wrong, please appoligize to them for me.

Louis is correct, I still have the cables and they are available. The electric retract works great and it is a lot quicker to change over to wheels or skis.
    Ron

Ron, Great to hear from you. I sure am glad that the retract mechanism worked out for you. I think that if I get back into it, that's the way that I will go.

Louie

just curious ..whats the weight and throw of the electric actuators?
    screw or ram?

Hi Ron- I'm very curious to see what you did. I have the same floats and eliminating the Johnson bar and cables would make it a lot easier to swap the floats between two planes for testing as well. If you could post a few pics some day, it would be much appreciated here. Thanks, Doug
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

The actuators have 8" throw. On the overall installation I saved about 2 lbs, but if I had to do it again I could save some more weight. I somewhat overbuilt it, incorporating adjustment parts which were nor really neccessary.
    Enclosed are two pictures which I took during construction. It is not easy to show clear pictures of the confined spaces. If anybody is interested in this method, I'll be glad to go into more detail.
    Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all for all the ideas and help. Ron that looks like a great way to get rid of all the turnbuckels,cables and pulleys. The one picture shows a yellow and green wires going to what looks like a limit switch, is that part of the set up or just a warning system? Where did you get the actuators from? While I'm on the topic does anyone have a source for the front wheels?

Thanks

The actuators are found on the internet - there are a variety of companies. I used Firgelli. The microswitch activates a couple of LED on the dash to indicate UP position. I had bought potentiometer actuators, intending to install an indicator in the cockpit. But I changed my mind when I realized if the linkage breaks it would still show up or down position on the indicator. I now use the main shaft to activate the microswitches independent from the actuator to give me an accurate wheel up position reading.
    Ron

In the box of parts I received with my floats were a set of pneumatic PRC ("People’s Republic of China”) 1x1-3/4 off-road tires mounted on unknown wheels. I have no idea if they even fit, but have heard several reports of others swapping to pneumatic. Would be very helpful to hear what those folks cobbled up if they find this thread. I have attached pics of mine for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)