Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiring teardown (or how I destroyed my plane in a weekend)

Default Wiring teardown (or how I destroyed my plane in a weekend)

Let the games begin.

This weekend I pulled most everything apart. I started one by one removing each wire from the back of the panel and electrical bus. By selectively either cutting and removing, or taping and labeling each wire that I needed to keep. Once everything was traced out and clearly understood, I removed the remaining connections and parts from the instrument panel. Then Removing the panel was a small matter of a few bolts at the bottom that held it in place.

It’s funny that as you go deeper and deeper into the project it starts looking like you’ve almost totally dismantled the entire plane. At one point I had to fold the right wing slightly to get the OAT sensor out of the wing root. At least I know that the pin will come out and you can fold the wing back. (better make sure and put that pin back in when I’m done!)

I made sure to keep every part that I was removing, including all the wire and parts in a box so I can weigh all of the stuff that’s not going back in and see what I removed. Mostly for curiosity sake really. When the rebuild is done I will weigh the plane and get a new weight and balance done for the record books.

Here are more pictures of the progress to date. From this point things should start going back in as the project progresses. Now no crying for those of you that have seen this plane, or flown in it. I promise it will be neat and tidy when it's finished!

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Default Re: Wiring teardown (or how I destroyed my plane in a weekend)

wow ..glad that's you not me .,, I'd be pulling my hair out trying to figure what was what,.
    I loathe wiring ..,.I can do it ,..just don't like it,..gives me nightmares ha ha

good luck Andy

what kinds of goodies are you not re installing?

Chase

Wow, Andy, brave move. I, too, just finished a complete panel gutout and rebuild. It's a chore but worth the effort in the end. What's the new panel going to have in it?
    Good luck,
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

WOW! you must be bored over there. Are you putting in a Dynon?
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

This project has been dubbed "Project Liposuction" as the primary driver was to reduce weight and complexity where they were not needed. So what does that mean? Well this plane had dual alternators, dual batteries, dual buses (non interconnected), acres of breakers, etc.

So for the most part I'm keeping most of what I had with a few upgrades. It had a GRT EFIS, which I'm keeping. I removed the IK2000 engine monitor to be replaced with a GRT EIS (which will tie into the EFIS), removing a dedicated fuel flow monitor (new will be embedded into EIS), removed the external alternator (high dollar Rotax part will be up for sale soon), I had already replaced my Com radio with a new Icom & GPS so those go back in. Had already replaced the ELT with a new 406 so that goes back in. Rewiring with a fuse panel instead of the breakers and a new much simpler wire plan (more fitting of my intended use for a Kitfox).

In the end, the goal is a very clean panel with as little in it as possible! Much like Mark's really.

Then the fuel system needs re-plumbed and who knows what else will come up along the way! As I progress I'll post a list of removed items to see if they are something someone needs for their project.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

should be a nice clean panel when your done . i used the fuses instead of c/bs . i did install two fuse panels , one switched radio bus and and a main bus . nice to be able to switch off radio and stuff before i shut it down . i also wired the power supply for the anr headset to the radio bus . been working great and happy with the way it turned out .
    it did look like the fuel system needed some of the switchbacks removed . looks like they ran all the gas thru the electric pump . i thought the pump might restrict flow when it isnt pumping ? must not . i plumbed mine in parallel with a check valve .
    with all the crappie weather , yesterday i started pulling off a wing to replace a gas tank . now kicking myself with the beautiful morning . could have gotten in a couple of more hours before if took it apart.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

way cool, you will like it and if you get these babies light, you will have a bunch of fun flying as well.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by cap01 View Post
    s
    with all the crappie weather , yesterday i started pulling off a wing to replace a gas tank . now kicking myself with the beautiful morning . could have gotten in a couple of more hours before if took it apart.

Hey Chuck, are you going from 6 gal to 13? I'll have to swing over there one of these days. I only live a few miles from you.

Scott

scott , yes , im replaceing a 6 gal tank with a 13 gal tank . just changing the right tank to start with maybe the left tank later . as i recall , you had to replace a tank .
    will have to get together sometime . since the wing is off the kitfox , ive been spending more time at the flying b working on the tank . i missed a chance to get a little time in this morning , looked real nice
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Here's the latest progress. Now I have no idea why it takes the better part of a week to simply cut up a panel blank, but there is a bunch of work to do it right. Cutting, shaping, grinding, drilling, riveting, planning, layout, engineering, fitting, re-drilling, re-riviting, scratching your head, finally cleaning, priming, painting...

Now it's on to assembly!
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA