Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Replacing airworthiness certificate.

Default Replacing airworthiness certificate.

This weekend, while, getting my Kitfox ready for lessons/flying I could not locate the airworthiness certificate.

It was showing stains and assorted signs of age, so I removed it from the plane to put it in a water-proof bag and the proceeded to lose it.

I'll give myself a few more days to try to find it at home, before asking the FAA for a copy.
    My questions:
    Did anybody in the forum ask for a replacement?
    How long does it take to get a new AC from the FAA?
    Mine was 3 or 4 pages long, including limitations, etc. Do the FAA or the DAR keep a full copy of the original?
    Any potential problem I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Roberto Waltman

Default Re: Replacing airworthiness certificate.

Roberto,

You should be able to get a replacement from the FAA - check first with the MIDO the airworthiness cert was issued from - otherwise FAA - Oklahoma City should have it.

Don't rule out the DAR who did the Cert - if he/she is easy to find - they usually like to keep a copy of everything they did and can possibly facilitate the replacement procedure.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Default Re: Replacing airworthiness certificate.

If you sign up on their web page you should be able to get a copy off of the Web Page. I got my a temporary airman certificate off line, until they finally mailed me my new new plastic pilots certificate.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Default Re: Replacing airworthiness certificate. (Happy ending)

For anybody else that may find himself in the same situation:

After convincing myself that the originals were really, really lost, (together with other things: basement flooding blues,) I contacted the local FAA FSDO (Teterboro/Saddle Brook New Jersey) to request issuing a new C of A and operating limitations.

To my surprise, they could produce scanned copies of the originals. I have no doubt that every new document issued today is stored in electronic form, but I did not think they could go back to 1994, when my Kitfox was completed.

I was asked to bring to the FSDO the airplane logbooks and any other relevant paperwork, and present a formal letter declaring the originals were lost. Two business days latter I picked up the newly issued docs.

This was my first contact with the FAA, the employees I met were very professional and very friendly at the same time. All in all, a pleasant experience.

Ready to commit aviation again! (Well, almost. I still need to get that tailwheel endorsement out of the way)