Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tow Bar & Introduction

Default Re: Tow Bar & Introduction

Rainbird/Ken,

Thanks for the feedback. I have a 12 foot flat bed, but use if for my ATVs. I had thought about pulling it up on it tail first and have the tail hang over the tongue, extend the tongue, and have the engine hang over the back.

This seems plausible, but like I said, I use the trailer for other things, and would rather invest the time and effort into an enclosed trailer this winter.

The boat trailer conversion does look appealing and I think I will keep my eye open for one. I'm sure I could find one for minimal cash if the timing is good.

I really like the tow on main gear idea. Seems too simple to screw up, and would work excellent in the interim until enclosed unit is complete. I put in a call to Kitfox and left a message, thought I might hear it from the horse's mouth...left a voice mail. Sure they're on the road at shows and what not.

I will keep you guys posted. In the end, if I go tow bar on the mains, I will draw up the plans in a CAD program and post if they work well. Geowitz really gave me a great start. I have the 26" main/BBW tail wheel bush setup though, so I will have to account for that.

-Alex

Ken,
    I recall your trailer setup from the day we visited at your place. Looking at your picture shows a similar loading as I have with a flatbed on a boat trailer, including a tilting bed. When tilted my aircraft tires run just outside the bed and immediately behind the trailer wheels. When I lower the front of the trailer the bed raises under the axles lifting the wheels well off the ground.
    But, I am rear loaded. The trailer has no weight on the hitch. I don't like that. Do you get adequate hitch weight???

Bud
    IV-1200
    912 UL

Ken, That looks like just the thing I need to have custom made. Problem is, the vertical stab appears to exceed 7 feet tall. My garage door is 7 feet tall. Any reason I could not drop the tail off of that track that you have and keep the tailwheel on the deck of the trailer? Have you done that to keep the airframe more level while trailering?
    Eddie

Hi Bud. I dont have any trouble with too little tongue weight. Plenty of weight from the wings being folded back.
    Eddy i attached a photo of my solution to the home garage height. I installed scissor jack like rv's use for lateral stabilization. Only takes a minute to raise and lower the tail. I wanted to travel with wings level.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Ken
    Thanks for the response. I have yet to finish the wings... Did not think of that. Will wait to do mods on the trailer until after the wings are attached.
    Bud
    IV-1200
    912UL