Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Matco 7" Tail-wheel flat again

Unhappy Matco 7" Tail-wheel flat again

Hi All,

A question for those with more experience than I.

I recently upgraded from the 6" Solid tail-wheel to the Matco 7" Pneumatic tail-wheel (and I love it).
    md.jpg
    Image from here
    more about tail-wheel here
    The upgrade was great, much smoother in the taxi, easier to turn (less pressure on the rudders) etc.

I've had two flat's in 12 months now... (I know others have reported similar issues) but it got me wondering... Why...

Every time, I've inspected the tire, rim and found no reason for it to go flat.

What I did notice was:
    1. This does not seem to be from thorns, sticks, *****les etc
    2. The puncture seems to be always on the side of the tube (at the tire wall)
    3. Even with an old tube lined inside the tire to protect the tube still getting punctures.

I'm wondering if the tires are perhaps flexing (when suddenly under load, landing etc) so much and pushing the steel bands through the tire (when flexed or flattened) and puncturing the side of the tube then springing back into shape hiding the steel bands again?

Does this make sense, what do you think?

Default Re: Matco 7" Tail-wheel flat again

Hi Jono, mine still have a "solid tire" but the tail is bouncing every time I land in my dirt airstrip, so would you recomend it besides the flats ??

Carlos

Inspect inside of tire sounds like sidewall cord possibly damaging tube. Something is wearing against it of some sort. These import tires are really cheaply constructed. Mark your stem on tire when disassemble and see if it reoccurs in same location. I would recommend no liner it could possibly pinching it of some sort.

Are you keeping it adequately inflated? A soft tire will feel really good in the bumps, but if you hit a bump a little too hard the tire will deflect enough to pinch the tube against the metal wheel rim and cut the tube (always on the side wall). I ran into this several times when I used to ride dirt bikes. If the front tire wasn't kept inflated fairly hard, I would get pinch punctures when I hit hard on rocks, holes, ruts, etc.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi Skyfox,
    Yes I'd recommend this tail-wheel (except the flats)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll try some more pressure.