Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Trailer Help

Default Trailer Help

SS7 nearing completion in about a year. Home build in garage. Does anyone have experience with how to get a trailer built ? Plans, hints, tips, photos, what to do first. Build from scratch or existing trailer ? Length of trailer, C/G balance of trailer. Much appreciate any suggestions.
    Ken.....West central Idaho

Default Re: Trailer help

Ken, a light weight single axel boat trailer works really well as a Kitfox mover.
    Some mods need to be done but none are difficult. You are likely using the Grove gear so your mods would be dictated by the wider Grove gear and if it is a tailwheel or nose wheel.

Do a "search" and many threads, lots with photos, will pop up.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Trailer Help

Hi Ken
    If you look on my "album" there is a homebuilt I did using an old Boler travel trailer. I suggest the key point is to get the suspension soft enough to not shake up an 800 pound load.
    Have fun, it is a great project.
    Cheers
    Don

Kitfox Trailer (2).jpg
    This trailer was custom made for a model 4 with standard gear. I bought it and converted it to a Series 5 with Grove Gear. The wheel pads and ramps moved to outside of the rails behind the wheels. It is kind of heavy duty. As DesertFox4 said you could easily modify a boat trailer. Lighter is better. If I was hauling the plane often, I would add some kind of mesh to keep rocks, etc from flying up behind the tow vehicle. This trailer has hauled three Kitfoxes, & several RV's to the airports for their first time.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Look at pontoon boat trailers at Mid-America trailer,www.midamericatrailer.com. I purchased a PT22/13 with no bunks
    for $1700.00 and added some treated wood for a platform. I have been transporting my SS7 to the airport for three years with no issues. Look at the sticky about trailering a SS7 , located on the forum home page.

I did the 'convert a boat trailer' for my KF IV. I modified it so I could unbolt the airplane parts and convert it back to a boat trailer when it is needed.
    Haven't pulled the plane farther that 25 miles to the airport. I towed it with a Subaru Outback and honestly could not even tell I was towing anything.IMG_20151022_125805058.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WWhunter; 06-18-2016 at 07:13 AM.