Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model IV vs Speedster guidance

Default Re: Model IV vs Speedster guidance

If you really want a Kitfox to cruise fast, most important thing to do is to make sure you have as many lower false ribs in your wings as the Speedster / 1200 has per bay. The 1050 used one fewer per bay (as I recall), and consequently at higher speeds the pressure pushes the fabric upwards making the airfoil more like the original undercambered airfoil used on all earlier (and slower) Kitfoxes. That's why most 1200's fly faster than previous models whether a 32 or a 29 ft wing. At least that's my take on it.

Besides that, streamline everything you can and set the prop for a WOT max rpm straight and level of 5650 to 5800, make sure your flaperons and tail incidence allow the airplane to cruise flat, and you will be getting max performance out of a 912 powered Kitfox 4.

At least that's my take on things. I fly my 80 hp 912 Model 4-1200 on amphib floats with an IVO IFA, and I can easilly fly 115 mph even on floats. And there are still a lot of things I could do to "Clean it up".

I can appreciate your desire to have more than one Kitfox. And frankly, if I were only flying a Model 4 on wheels I would prefer a Speedster as it not only is faster and sportier, if done right they are really a beautiful airplane. Ramp appeal is off the charts...

Guys,

Two great responses that are both very much appreciated. Thank you!

Don't let me cut off any other comments by thanking you guys.

One of the huge advantages of owning a Kitfox is the abundance of knowledge/experience in the heads of so many owners and builders in the Kitfox community.

I LOVE MY KITFOX.

BJ

I'm glad to know you found some value in what we shared.

And I too love my Kitfox. They are just the coolest little planes a guy could ever want. They do everything so well, and I always tell people it is probably the closest thing to a human being strapping on two wings and going flying. Above all things, they are just a blast to fly....

I've flown a lot of fun airplanes in my life, but I'm not sure if there is anything more fun from the fun flying perspective. And being able to do just about anything with them is just a big bonus.

Typically when people see mine at seaplane gatherings I will usually get a comment before the event is over "If you ever decide to sell your Kitfox, call me first." Of course, I can't imagine letting mine go. I just have too much fun with it.