Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Engine dilemma

Default Engine dilemma

Ok, I'm on my third Kitfox, and this Mk3 is a keeper. I've put Grove gear on her and big tyres for getting around my farms. She's a lovely airframe and she's clean of corrosion etc.

The silver top 582 is no spring chicken though. As a result, I have two options:

1. New 582/99 - I wouldn't mess around overhauling a 2 stroke
    2. A 912 installation, with all the cost and hassle.

My gut feeling is option 1.

Any thoughts?

My flying is mostly short trips, from short (<600 feet) strips.

Default Re: Engine dilemma

582 would definitely mean less down time.
    912 would mean a whole new firewall forward...
    Regards
    Jeff
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

How about a 670? More power and will fit on your existing set up.

I love my 912. It is a great engine.

That being said, I would say your best bet is to stay with the 582. They are light and reliable. Your plane is already set up for one and it will be an easy installation.

Keep it light and it will perform very well.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If you go with the 582, in 300 hrs, you will be asking yourself the same question. If you can afford it, might make sense to go with the 912. Jim Chuk

Thanks all. My gut feeling is to reamain with the 582, as it is a nice light set-up, and it's the ability to get off the ground quickly that I need, not endurance. I also only recently bought a IVO, so it would be good to get some use out of it.

I'm also concerned that with the fuel tank set up I have in front of the panel, that C of G would start getting quite "fronty" with a 912 up front.

I'll see what kind of a price I can get.

If an E box is not too costly, is there space inside the cowl for the starter to be on the front, or are any cowl mods needed?
    Last edited by Monocock; 05-01-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Stick with the 2 stroke,run for 300 hrs,put in a set of quality pistons run for another 300! install another new engine...............
    A 670 would give a similar performance to an 80 hp 912.
    I run a 582 and a 912 80 hp,for local flying I prefer the 582.
    For crosscountry flying the 912 wins hands own.
    The 582 is an extremely reliable and excellent value for money power plant.
    The cost to convert to a 912 would possibly not stack up against trading up to
    A kitfox that already has a 912.

Good advice, Dusty. Thanks

I'm facing the same decision in the future myself. Like you I have a really nice IV that was built as light and simple as one could be built. It has nothing in it that isn't absolutely necessary for flying around the farm fields. The plane leaps off the ground with 1/2 fuel. Coming from lots of much lower Hp Ultralight flying I think performance with the old 582 is quite stellar in comparsion. Once I installed an RK-400 clutch and IVO 72" I liked the plane even more. Before that with an old 68" GSC I felt as if the plane would be vibrated and shaken to pieces. My initial thoughts were that I needed to get a 912 before the airframe had to be re-welded. I have changed my mind on that idea however. After looking at the costs and time involved to install a 912 I'd rather sell the plane and find another. Spending $20+ grand on a plane that's worth $20+/- grand (with trailer) makes no sense to me. Right now in my area there's a 650hr TT 912 IV for $30+/-. It has a dash like the space shuttle and every gizmo you can imagine in it. It's only worth $30K. Look it up on Barnstormers. Sure one could always find a "cheaper" used mid-time 912 somewhere that's only been suddenly stopped or submerged just once.

No Sir, I think when the time comes I'll pop in a new blue head and call it good. If I started in the morning after coffee I could probably crank up the new engine before sundown.