Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tiger Seal

Default Tiger Seal

A tube of Tiger Seal polyurethane sealant/adhesive came in my firewall forward kit. Anyone know where this is to be used? Bonding NACA duct to lower cowl maybe?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Default Re: Tiger Seal

In the past, It has been included for sealing the firewall to the boot cowl. Once applied - the firewall and the boot cowl become almost inseparable.

Some folks are using small countersunk machine screws in place of the permanent tiger seal so the boot cowl can be taken off later.

The NACA duct should be bonded with Hysol.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Hysol for the NACA was what I had expected to use, so I still will do that.
    Neither the Tiger Seal tube label nor their data sheet make ANY reference to thermal behavior or fire resistance. I have a tube of 3M Fire Barrier 2000+ on its way to use on the firewall/boot cowl seam. It is apparently highly regarded per a recent Kitplanes magazine article.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

The Tiger Seal is definitely intended for sealing firewall to boot cowl. I thought there was something in the build manual about that. I'm sure other sealants can be used. Many guys do not seal at all, as was mentioned. I personally like the idea of a good sealant to keep all engine compartment fumes (CO in particular) out of the cockpit. You already have the great safety advantage of the Rotax engine not using exhaust heat for cabin heating, and sealing the firewall just completes that safety feature in my opinion. I the rare thing happens that would require removing the boot cowl, I dont think it would be that difficult to drill out the rivets and break loose the sealant.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS