Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How complete is the kit?

Default How complete is the kit?

I'm researching my next project and found a liking to the Rotec Radial on the Kitfox.
    How complete is the firewall back kit? does it include all the hardware, parts and materials to complete the plane?
    I know it doesn't include avionics, but mostly the rest of the stuff like brakes, wheels, pulleys, nuts and bolts and stuff.

I've previously built a Sonex and although the kit is pretty complete, you still need to spend a lot on the hardware.

Default Re: How complete is the kit?

It's complete right down to the zip ties and everything is packed by area of plane. The only time I've had to order things is when I lose something, mess it up, or go a different direction.

I agree completely with Esser. The only thing I would add is that it is complete up to the point you pick up a spray gun. The final spray coats of PolyBrush, the silver PolySpray, and of course all the finish color coats are on your own nickel.

Also, don't overlook the fact that there are many optional items not included in the basic kit, items that you probably will want to have: seat and cabin upholstery, baggage area kit, strut fairings, tail airfoil ribs, bubble doors, dual controls, dual brakes, wing leading edge, aluminum header tank, powder coated frame tubing, parking brake, wingtips with nav light recess, possibly quick build wings and fab kit, etc. You can build a flyable aircraft from the basic kit, but I doubt anybody does.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I agree completely with Esser. The only thing I would add is that it is complete up to the point you pick up a spray gun. The final spray coats of PolyBrush, the silver PolySpray, and of course all the finish color coats are on your own nickel.

Also, don't overlook the fact that there are many optional items not included in the basic kit, items that you probably will want to have: seat and cabin upholstery, baggage area kit, strut fairings, tail airfoil ribs, bubble doors, dual controls, dual brakes, wing leading edge, aluminum header tank, powder coated frame tubing, parking brake, wingtips with nav light recess, possibly quick build wings and fab kit, etc. You can build a flyable aircraft from the basic kit, but I doubt anybody does.
    Maybe to help clear this up a little...
    The firewall back kit is very complete. Options are your choice.
    The seat is included in the kit.. Upholstery is not.
    Dual controls are included in the kit.. Dual brakes (pilot and co-pilot) are not. Only pilot side brakes are included.
    Leading edge is included the Laker Leading edge is an option.
    Aluminum Header tank is included.
    Wing tips are included.. Optional tips are available that have the nav/strobe and recognition light provisions built in.
    Unlike some, we do include aircraft grade (AN or MS) Hardware and components with the basic kit. Even the covering is included...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

The other kit 'component' that I think is worth mentioning is the build manual. Having Josh is about 3/4 through his build, Jim finished a couple of years ago and I finished about 3 months ago. I am sure they will agree with me that the manual is pretty thorough. Additionally, there are 2 lines of support readily available when you can't figure something out - the first you have already found right here! Don't underestimate the value of this forum - it is fantastic! The second is from John and Debra McBean at the factory who, despite being amazingly busy, found time to respond to my rather naive questions each time I was really not sure.

Good luck with your decision - very different planes the Sonex and Kitfox - I have a friend over here who has built a Waivex and now building a Kitfox. Different capabilities.

cheers for now

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I'll agree with the others on the completeness of the kit. I have only had mine for a couple of months and I am really impressed with how complete it was. I had a Sonerai II kit in the 80's and there is no comparison. Of course it cost more but it's well worth it.

If you would like to take a look at my build, let me know. I am in Colorado Springs and there is another builder in Monument. I'll echo what others have said. The firewall back is very complete once you decide on all the available options.

Eric