Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Landing light

Default Landing light

Gonna put a microsun landing light in my cowling. I have an O-200 and wanted to keep the air out of the lower cowling. So i thought maybe put a plastic window for the light. But i noticed quite a bit of heat comes off that microsun. Would a lexan or polycarb window be better? Thanks, Ken

Default Re: Landing light

Lexan is a brand of polycarbonate. I think that is what I would use, but would make it replaceable just in case. Polycarbonate has a high moisture content and will fog up if taken much above the boiling point of water, but the heat forming temps are above 350 degrees.
    Last edited by HighWing; 02-13-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Your microsun won't make more heat than 60C or else it would be in danger of degrading the LED's. Their cover on the light is PC so I would use a piece of lexan and call it a day.

One of the advantages (and disadvantages) of LED light sources is no infrared in the light. Thermal rise with a dirty lens is low. On the other hand, a heating element may be needed to keep the lens clear in icing conditions (not a problem in the Kitfox).

If you want to talk lighting details, send me a private. 38 years in lighting.

Larry