Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Folding Wings

Default Folding Wings

How long does it take to fold the wings on a model IV? Is it cumbersome? Is there a video showing the process?

Default Re: Folding Wings

Time: 10 to 15 minutes, being careful.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8oAnoak6p0

Roberto Waltman

Starting from the time I get out of my pick up at the airport to unload my Model 4 off the trailer, average time to everything put together and ready to preflight is 20 minutes. My personal best is 16 minutes.

This morning the guy in the hangar next to where I park pulled in at the same time I did. We both started working at the same time. He had to pull a Cessna out first to get his plane out of the hangar. I had my kitfox all unloaded, and put together ready to preflight at exactly the same time he was ready to do the same.

It is not cumbersome but takes focus and practice to develop a procedure that works your time efficiently. I start at the tail and work my way around the plane one time. Then spread the first wing, then the other wing, then put on the turtle deck. This has resulted in the least number of wasted steps for me.
    Last edited by t j; 05-19-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

one thing to try and do is have the tail up, meaning if you have a tail dragger raise the tail. Have a trailer that normally has the tail up and level. Now you can fold the wings and do it by yourself. If you do this with the tail on the ground, once the bolt is removed in the front the wings want to close up real fast and it's real hard for one person to do. Not only that, if the trailer allows for the tail to be up, you won't have to drain the tanks. Which will speed things up a bit also.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

To the original poster: The 20 minutes (or more) time is correct if you need to unload it from a trailer. My 10 to 15 was for a plane kept in a half-T hangar, with the wings folded but unsecured. Just pull it out and start unfolding.

The wings "wanting to close" can really be a problem. I read somewhere, (probably in this forum,) the suggestion to tie a rope to the wing strut and release/pull it slowly to control the wing while folding/unfolding. I tried it and it works wonderfully.

The problem of fuel leaking from the tanks because of the slope in the folded wings remains.
    I thought of making a second set of fuel tank caps, without the vent, closing hermetically,
    and switch them before folding.
    Will this work?

Roberto Waltman

rwaltman,..if you look on my profile in the photo's there is a aparatus that get's hooked to the trailer hitch/lower dorsal fin connect point,. if your plane has them ,..it's basically a caster wheel that holds a tail dragger's tail up to the almost level position ,..which make's it easier to move the plane around as well,..it will add time to your pre flight as it need's to be removed after the wings are extended,..but it should keep the fuel from leaking out the vent tube and seal for the fuel tank cap,..and rather simple to make.

Chase

Looks like a good idea, thanks. You reminded me of a similar but simpler contraption I saw somewhere (and forgot about): A "tall dolly" - Just as it sounds, a wooden block on casters, with a groove on top for the tailwheel, of just the right height to keep the wings horizontal.

It was not as safe as your design. The tailwheel just sat inside the groove on top, was not tied or attached to anything, so moving the plane for more than a few feet may be a problem, but it will be enough in my case. I just need to pull the KF one fuselage length.

I'll post the link if I find it again.

Roberto Waltman

Hi!

Another video with process.....

KLICK

Olaf
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel

I really like the tailwheel Jack / support. Does the caster wheel swivel or is it fixed?