Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aviation Pet Peeve

Default Re: Aviation Pet Peeve

I should clarify my peeve about radios. I intended to mean modern aircraft. I love the antiques out there! I don't agree that a brand new plane can be radio exempt. Heck, IMHO the ELT should be optional, not the radio.

It seems like we all have stories about radio usage peeves. My local airport is what I call a "suicide pattern" airport. We land on 18 and take off on 36 due to the mountains at one end. We approach over the lake and takeoff over the lake at 6700ft. I always wonder about head-ons and keep my eyes moving. Still spooky.

This reminds me of the Flight Training of Vietnamese Pilots in the early '70s at Hunter AAF in Savannah, Ga.

20 or more helicopters of different types running up on the ramp, and over the radio you hear "I GO NOW."

Kitfox Nick,

Well, about three or four years ago, the Airman's Information Manual added some language specifically that says don't use the phrase "any traffic in the area please advise"...not ever.

Aside from your comment which agrees with the AIM, makes sense to me for the reasons you identified.

Great minds, same gutter.....

Sincerely,

Dave S

Quote Originally Posted by kitfoxnick View Post
    My peeve is the guy who comes on the radio and announces his position and then requests "any traffic in the area please advise". .
    Guilty! In fact I just did this on a BFR 5 days ago. Where did I learn it? -My Flight instructor years ago. I always thought it was in the spirit of safety. "I am here, where are you at" type of thing to make sure no one hits each other in the air.
    Looks like I was wrong.

One of the changes that has appeared in the 2007 AIM is in section 4-1-9(g).
    Allow me to quote it for you:

"Self-announce is a procedure whereby pilots broadcast their position or intended flight activity or ground operation on the designated CTAF . . . Pilots stating 'Traffic in the area please advise' is not a recognized Self-Announce Position and/or Intention phrase and should not be used under any condition."

People starting their aircraft in front of the open hangar doors and filling it with dust and debris. GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

Taxiing up and turning prop blast toward instead of away from other parked planes.

Also a Grrrrrrrr.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

AMEN TO ALL!

While the radio buffoonery aboundeth verily hereabouts (Phoenix) it's the Total-Lack-Of-SA crowd members, which Monocock and Av8r3400 described, along with Flienlow's wrong-way Corrigan buddy, that set me to weighing the benefits of correcting the transgressors on the spot while risking a life prison term in so doing.

In many such cases, I'm pretty sure I could get off the hook by claiming justifiable homicide but with a very good lawyer, I'm sure I could be hailed as a hero among aviators everywhere by citing "emergency euthanasia" as a defense!

Any way you cut it, all of our peeves merely prove the fact that the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. Unfortunately, we've not yet learned to harness either, so I try my best to start each day out with a good, healthy, snort of hydrogen!

"E.T."
    (sigh)