Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Leading Edge on KF SS

Default Leading Edge on KF SS

I am going to epoxy the leading edges on the spars today and wanted a little clarification on the process. I read the manual.

After prepping the leading edge and spar and cleaning them with Denatured Alcohol I'm ready to mix the epoxy and get to work.

There are three points on the leading edge that contact the spar, top middle and bottom. Question: is the epoxy applied to all three points and to the three areas of the spar that contact the leading edge?

May be a dumb question, but I'm that kinda guy.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Default Re: Leading Edge on KF SS

I taped one edge of the leading edge down ensured that it was correct don't forget that the leading edge is not symmetrical then folded the leading edge back applied epoxy to both edges and the centre strip aswell and then folded the leading edge back into the correct position. Any epoxy that oozed out of the joints I cleaned with a rag dipped in IPA and then taped the LE into position for its entire length. I did make up a template to ensure correct positioning.
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

I interpreted the manual to mean only epoxy on the 3 places on the leading edge, not both surfaces. If you did both surfaces you would get a lot of epoxy oozing out.

By the way, I tapered the two outer edges of the leading edge to fit the curve of the spar and leave only a very small edge to have to fair in with Superfill later on when it is time to cover with fabric.

Jim

Many thanks. Looks like I am good to go.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

I agree I only put epoxy onto one of the surfaces in my case I applied it to the plastic leading edge
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS