Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing jig height

Question Wing jig height

The plans say to build the wings on 31 inch high sawhorses. Has anybody wished they were higher? Advice?

Default Re: Wing jig height

Yeah, higher would be a little easier on the back, but they are soon off the jig. Then you will be well advised to build yourself some sort of simple rotisserie to mount the wing on for varnishing, primering, covering, rib-stitching and painting.

Jim

You can look at my wing jig here. I'm 5' 10" tall and did not find the 31" height to be fatiguing. If you're taller than me I see no problem with increasing the height.
    Last edited by Tom Waid; 01-25-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Tom's build website is very good. I used his wing rotisserie idea (see his website); mine is not quite as fancy as his, but same idea.

Also 5' 10" here and I think our wing jig was a little closer to the floor (to utilize available materials) but not a problem. I don't think an exact height is a necessity - just fine to do what works. A person has to remember that building an airplane doubles as an exercise program anyway (one of the justifications for building!) - sort of a masculine version of yoga......the wing build will not be the last awkward position a person assumes in the process anyway.

DS

I've received a number of requests for the dimensions of my "rotisserie." My original drawings were lost in a computer crash. It took a while but I made new drawings.