Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: profiled tail

Default Re: profiled tail

Kitfox 2 -- profiled tail gain is aboudt the same as a streamlined gas cap.

go back to reality and fly the plane and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave F View Post
    Kitfox 2 -- profiled tail gain is aboudt the same as a streamlined gas cap.
    Give me a break. I'm assuming you flew a plane with each setup and noted the speed difference. Well, the benefits aren't just about raw speed differences. There are efficiency and effectiveness factors in play here. It's an undeniable fact that aerodynamically the profiled tail is a better design. There is something to be said for using less control surface movement to get the same maneuverability.

Heck, if the streamlined gas cap does just as much good, then I'll do both mods and get twice the benefit!
    Last edited by Geowitz; 01-15-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Yes I am still going with a VW on my Tri-gear model 4-1200. So without a tail wheel and the profiled tail kit I am defiantly thinking my tail will be light, maybe too light (but I can add up to 15 lbs of lead to the tail, if needed (which I really hope it won’t be)).

So, I could add the profiled tail kit and be ok weight wise, but my overall goal is “simple” and not really “fast airplane” (and also “quick build”), so I won’t be installing the profile kit on my plane, though I am adding some kind of gap seal to my elevator.

Regarding the VW, I now have a tentative deal to buy a complete and flying Kitfox-4 VW firewall forward kit (including the cowling and the firewall itself) from a guy doing an engine swap to the more powerful Subaru engine, which he tells me his 3 avid buddies already have installed and love. $4500 for the whole thing, quick to mount up and ready to run, which suits my Budget and quick build goals well (it's the larger 2180 cc engine).

I just finished up installing the profiled tail on my SS7. It is a lot of work, definitely not a quick add-on. I personally feel it is worth it, not just cosmetically. I have flown RC models with & without profiled tails and there is a definite difference in control feel, especially at low speeds.

Jim