Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tailwheel clearance

Default Tailwheel clearance

I installed a new tailwheel leaf spring from KF on my model III. I used the two larger springs. The spring only clears the bottom of the rudder horn by about 1/4 inch and the the tailwheel is 21/2 inches below the bottom of the rudder. I'm concerned about the wheel hitting the bottom of the rudder on a rough surface or interfering with the rudder horn.
    Anyone else have this problem ?
    Can I adjust the bend in the springs without messing up the temper of the steel ?

thanks,
    EG

Default Re: Tailwheel clearance

EG,
    I just finished a modification on my tailwheel spring on my model IV. My clearance is about 4". The rudder clearance is the same as my original leaf spring was but in the new set-up the wheel is slightly aft. I also went over the collection of Kitfox pictures in my files and all have clearances in the 4 to 5 inch range. I think there is the risk of damaging the rudder or at least locking it with interference just when you don't want to with only 2-1/2" clearance. Another thing to consider if you have the spring modified is the angle of pivot. It thould be vertical or slightly angled forward - top to bottom - the bottom of the pivot being slightly forward of the top. If the pivot is angled the other way, it can definitely cause tailwheel shimmy. If you look at the photo, as the spring flexes under load, the pivot will remain vertical.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Tailwheel clearance

EG, I can't picture in my mind how it could be that close. Can you post a real picture?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder