Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountain Flying

Default Re: Mountain Flying

http://www.rotec.com/

The engine is advertised on the homepage. I talked to them a few months ago. They had several options including 3 of the conversions and one 914 that had 300 hours on it. Good luck

Here are the datas from my testflights concerning climb performance. Theoretical service ceiling is 17k
    KITFOX IV Speedster Rotax 912 80hp 3blade Warp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rockwoodrv9a... I live in the Denver area & am building a 7 S.S. I intend to use the 912uls. I guess it depends on what kind of performance you think you need - I know it won't be anything like my 160 hp Thorp T-18. I intend to go all over the mountains, & I'm sure I'll be in Glenwood Spgs. once in awhile with the Fox. My good friend Stan has an 80 hp mod. 4 Speedster, & he's landed at every public use airport (& a lot of private strips) in Colorado with it, not to mention landing in every state in the Union except Hawaii (he's still working on that). He plans to fly to every province in Canada next year. We're planning a trip to Alaska in the summer of 2013, if I get mine flying in time... I expect to. I also expect to have sufficient altitude performance with 100 hp - just have to respect the winds & weather like you have to in any airplane. You do know that the ladies running the Leadville, CO airport (elev. 9927 msl, I believe) taught primary students with 172s, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9a View Post
    Thanks for the info. From what it looks like, the 914 sounds like the way to go if I go with the Kitfox. I don't have a problem traveling at 10k+ and had planned to put a bottle in whatever plane I built because of the altitude here in Colorado.

I can't even imagine trying to get a 140 or a 172 from here to Denver. Im sure it has been done, but I can't see it being worth the gamble. Every year we get a few guys planting themselves in the mountains who either can't do math to figure density altitude or think they can "wish" their way through. Before flying in the mountains, I would recommend going to McCall Idaho and taking the course from Lori and her gang. It could easily save your life.

Does anyone have any additional information about the 912 - 914 turbo conversion in Canada? I will do some research - it sounds like a pretty good idea and saving the cost of a glass panel isn't bad either.

Thanks again everyone for the information. If anyone is flying in the Glenwood Springs - Aspen Eagle area, let me know. I would love to see your plane and discuss it over lunch.
    Have a good evening.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Jrevens,
    Holy cow - teaching at Leadville in a 172 - and I thought the ladies at the McCall mountain flying school were the bravest pilots anywhere!

Im not looking for screaming performance - just the ability to get from Glenwood Springs to Denver - thats about the highest route I would take. I am 200pounds, a wife that is about half that, limited baggage, and full fuel, and I want to be looking down at the trees rather than dodging them. Speed is not as much of an issue as high altitude performance. I got an email back from John at Kitfox saying the 912 Rotex would probably be fine, but the 914 turbo would be even better. I got a link from the forum here for a 0-time 914turbo for under $30k. If I end up going with the Kitfox, I would consider that as a real option to give me an extra edge.

Im glad to hear you are building so close to me. I get to Denver at least once a month for business meetings. i would love to see your plane and discuss it with you. Next time Im headed that way, would you mind if I contacted you and maybe stopped by? I would also be up to making a trip down to give you an hand if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by muth View Post
    Here are the datas from my testflights concerning climb performance.
    Tom,

Thanks for the chart. It is helpful. What great pictures you have posted. I have never been to Europe and have always wanted to go. My wife's family is Swiss and I know she would love to visit where her ancestors came from. The question is how to arrange a couple mid air re-fuels so when I build I can fly on over. I could lose some weight, but probably not enough for enough extra fuel to make it! Have a great day and keep posting the amazing pictures.

Rockwood

Rockwood,

I fly the KF-5 with most of the 7 mods and a 100hp 912uls, Done lots of high mountain flying and myself (250lb) and 100+lbs of camping cargo I can fly out of any strip in the Country, have added a 125lb passenger and had it to 15,600 with a little effort, Added a 150lb passenger and been to 14,500 again with a little effort all with full fuel. But with just me and 100lb baggage full fuel etc it doesn't hesitate above 12,000.

Now that being said, I have flown a lot of aircraft with Turbo Chargers and if money wasn't an issue and I could also choose to put on a flight adjustable prop, Boy I would do it in a minute.
    BigJohn
    Kitfox 5 Outback
    Rotax 912ULS With 1622cc Big Torque Zipper Conversion

Youtube BigJohn655
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BigJohn655

SPOT LINK:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...OgrFSDFu8qvG6Q

I have a Model 7 and have had both a 912S (200 hours) and a 914 (125 hours) on the airplane. I'm using an IVO IFA medium prop with the 914 and can verify that for performance at higher altitude (above 10K) there is no compairson. I've had both above 12K and with the 912S the rate of climb was around 300 fpm and with the 914 it's still above 1000 fpm in the thin air. With the 914, the airplane really jumps into the air and the rate of climb below 10K beats the 912S by 300-400 fpm across the board.

There's no doubt that the 914 is a more complex set up with dual electric fuel pumps, many more sensors, a turbo control unit, excess heat to manage, etc. and it's taken some tweaking to get the installation dialed in but it clearly expands the performance envelope of the airplane.

I fly my Model IV Speedster from the Denver area (5600 ft+). I have the 912ul 80 hp with over 1800 hours in ten years, landings in all states but Hawaii, landings at all public airports in Colorado (78) and a total of over 120 airports/strips in Colorado. I regularly fly over 14K and sometimes up to 18k. If I were to replace my engine, it would be with another 80 hp 912ul (low octane mo gas and under 4 gph gives me 115 mph). No x-country is too long for me. Nuf said?

Smile Re: Mountain Flying

Columbine is definitely a legendary airplane for all of us, Stan.

Thanks for being the unofficial embassitor of the Kitfox nation.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

That's a pretty good endorsement. It sounds like you are living the dream. Thanks for the info. On my next trip to Denver area, there are several people I would like to visit with and see their planes.