Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Best Kitfox Mods

Default Best Kitfox Mods

I wanted to post a few simple mods I came up with that I think others would appreciate. Wouldn't mind seeing some other's good simple mods.

#1 - I have noticed on a lot of model IV's and earlier that the bottom of windshield pushes the cowling out at the front of the door and just plain looks shoddy. On the last/bottom mounting tab I put the windshield on the inside of the tab and it helps everything fit flush. Shown in first and second pictures.

#2 - I have a regular clear lexan windshield, but wanted the option of tint on top and to be able to go back and forth between the two. Film doesn't work well on lexan and shades can be hard to fit and don't look as nice. I put a thin backing strip of aluminum under the butt ribs and the center rib to create a shelf about 1/4 inch wide for a piece of tinted lexan to sit just underneath the clear roof lexan. The center butt rib is held on at each end with a screw and lock nut so it can drop down for easy install and removal of the tinted lexan. Shown in pics 3,4, and 5.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geowitz; 11-30-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Default Re: Best Kitfox Mods

Hey Ya'll. I didn't name this thread "Best Kitfox mods" because I thought mine were the best... I was hoping to see some of ya'lls best mods so we could all copy them!

I copied Iceflyer's idea for a rear view mirror. I use it when taxiing around the airport wnd when doing a run up to make sure I'm not about to propwash someone. about $2 at Orillies auto parts. Here's a photo inflight.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Tom,

Can't tell for sure; but, can you confirm if you mirror is a convex wide angle of is it a flat mirror?

A little convex mirror about 3 inches wide by 2 inches high.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Maybe not best for some, but best for me. after waiting six months to learn if my airplane destroying emergency landing was in fact oil pressure related or simply a faulty gauge, I opted for a back-up indicator this time. I have a back up now in both critical fluid systems.

The original plan was two pressure indicators with a toggle between them, but the $255 price for the second sender drove me in a nother direction.

Forum talk recommending moving the pressure indicator off the vibrating engine solved the room problem. The result of all this thinking was mounting a manifold on the firewall side of the engine mount with the pressure sender and a two pole pressure switch. In the panel I get a flashing red light and zero pressure at master on, then while I crank, the flashing light turns to constant green and the pressure rises on the gauge. I know both are working. In flight, if the gauge pressure drops and the light stays green, I know I am still good to go.
    Lowell

Joey,
    I'm game. Still not flying yet, just too many mods in the works, but will spring for lunch.
    Lowell