Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: technique for wing pivot bolt replacement?

Default technique for wing pivot bolt replacement?

I'm wanting to replace the upper and lower wing bolts for preventative maintenance. What's the best technique to do this with the least risk to the plane (well, and myself) ? I didn't build my plane but it's a Kitfox 5 I'm asking about, howver I assume the technique would be the same for all models.

Wings folded, wings out? Build a support for the wingtip, or just have someone hold it?

Any suggestions are apprecaited,
    -Wild

Default Re: technique for wing pivot bolt replacement?

My opinion having taken the wings on and off a few times, just have someone hold it.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Like he said, have someone hold it with wings spread. Replace the front spar pins first. Then use one of the old pins to tap up on the bottom end of the rear bolt so the pin slides in as the bolt comes out. Then tap the new bolt in from the top to drive the pin out anmd the new bolt in. Clear as Mud? Have your helper wiggle the wing tip up and down gently as you replace them. Remember to grease the new bolts.

My wife is my helper and she likes a board cut to length to hold the wing tip up while the bolts are out incase she gets tired.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

use caution when tapping up the aft bolt that it clears the plastic of the windshield . depends on how the windshield was trimmed as to how much room you have to get the bolt head past the plastic .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

another place to use caution is when your unfolding the wings and installing the forward pin . i have seen a windshield broken when the wing is moved too far forward and the front spar contacts the windshield .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

We had one our the Kitfox builders forget to drill the hole in the rear corners of the windshield (the hole lines up over the rear spar /wing attach bolt). When they tapped the underside of the bolt it went right into the coner of the windshield and snapped off the whole corner. Happened so fast that he didn't even realize what he had done until the piece fell to the floor. Then there was a crying sound coming from the owner.

He knew well that this oversight just cost a new windshield and all the labor required for fitting the replacement windshield. Ouch!

Anyone know the size of the bolt in the rear attachment spar? Need to place another order with aircraft spruce (hopefully my last for awhile) and forgot to get the dimensions.

Thanks