Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: OK, What's the Trick for Close Rivets

Default OK, What's the Trick for Close Rivets

I am running into several cases where I have to install a pop rivet quite close to a side wall/rib/bracket and my standard pop rivet squeezer nose is too big to get squarely over the rivet. The result is poorly seated rivets that I have to drill out (that is a problem in itself) and try again with less than satisfactory results.

There must be a better way such as a tool with a smaller nose, a spacer between rivet and nose, etc. Help!

Jim

Default Re: OK, What's the Trick for Close Rivets

Place a few #6 washers or small collar on the rivet shank before inserting the shank into the pulling tool. That will normally get you as much as a 1/4 inch or more reach. Be sure to put your hand under the nose to catch the washers or collar.

If using a pneumatic/hydralic puller, try using a hand operated model, they usually will have a smaller profile nose.

And last, you can get a straight puller to reach deeper where some 90 degree pullers won't have the room.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

I actually sacrificed a hand puller nose by grinding a large flat spot one side of the puller nose piece. This allowed me to get in much closer to a straight pull on the rivet. This worked for me in better than 99% of the cases.

I looked for a picture of the modified nose piece but couldn't find one.

Here's a picture of my method of getting into tight spots. In this case I used three #6 nuts as spacers.

If doing just one or two rivets I use the spacers loose. If I have several to do I simply wrap tape over the nuts to hold them on the nose and poke the shank through the tape.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys!
    I love this forum.

Jim