Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Start with Wings?

Default Start with Wings?

I want to build a KF 7, but due to finances would like to start with the wing kit only instead of the usual fuse kit. Do you see any problems with this? Will I be able to completely finish the wings (cover, paint, etc.) before I buy the fuse kit?

Jim

Default Re: Start with Wings?

With any airplane there are construction items that are dependent on other assemblies.

In the case of the wings on the model 7 it is necessary to fit them to the fuselage as part of the rigging before they are covered. So no, you can’t build, cover and paint the wings without the fuselage.

Even if you have the raw fuselage available, you will need a safe area and room to store the wings after they are completed. Typically, when wings are built first they end up with damage from being moved many times about the shop and/or covered with dust, dirt and sanding debris.

With that said, you can’t complete the fuselage without the wings, either. You must have the wings built to fit the butt ribs on the fuselage. The butt ribs must be installed to fit the windshield skylight.

It’s really a knee bone connects to the thigh bone type of construction. The Kitfox instructions are very clear, but by necessity they bounce from one assembly area to another.

My recommendation is to build the fuselage first. If necessary, wait a bit to fit the fuselage kit into your finances.

You might consider purchasing the assembly manual and read it through before purchasing any sub-assembly kits. Having a good understanding of the total project will convince you to do the fuselage first.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

John's points are well made. But having said that, I have to confess that I'm building my SS wings first. One of the most important considerations is the layout of your building space. I'm divided between my (very small) garage and the T-Hangar where I keep my Cessna 172. The hangar gives me very safe and secure storage space for all the components of the kit while the garage at home gives me a very convenient work space for whatever component I'm presently working on. I did not purchase the quick-build wing option, therefore it was more convenient to build the wings first and rig them to the fuselage before I progress any further with the fuselage. After rigging the wings I decided to finish the wings (to the point of being covered) since my work space was already laid out to facilitate this.

Please note that I purchased my entire kit at the onset. What John said is very true. You cannot go very far with the wings without having to join them to the fuselage. You can make more progress on the fuselage before this is necessary.

If you would like to see a detailed account of my project you're welcome to visit my website
    Last edited by Tom Waid; 11-30-2010 at 05:34 AM.

Thanks for the replies. That was exactly the type of info I was hoping for. I like the suggestion of purchasing the insrtruction manual first, so I can see the sequence of events.

Jim