Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ivo fun with some questions

Default Ivo fun with some questions

Having a good time with my new IVO 68" ground adjustable light. Looks like cruise, using a static ground rpm of about 5800 will give me 8-10 mph more than the prior wooden prop putting me well into the yellow arc on my old (but trusty) Model 2, 582 Bluehead, C box, with 2.62:1 ratio. That is, I was doing about 75 before and am approaching 85 now at 5800 cruise rpm.

A few comments:
    -If there weren't so many of them out there flying for so long, and I was the first customer, I'd be a little nervous with the documentation that came with it. Ambiguous (at) times. Here's an example:

"The only time you need to lock the screw adjuster with lock nut is when you pitch the prop between the neutral and two turns pitch decrease, in all other pitch setting screw adjuster stays where you leave it without a jam nut."

Hmm. My interpretation of this is that the big (32mm) jam nut on the center adjuster bolt is superfluous then. In fact, I tried leaving it loosely tightened against the flange during a ground run and it quickly loosened and the prop went into coarse pitch. I read elsewhere on an ultralight blog that the center nut should be tightened to 40 ft/lbs.

Gonna sell my old GSC. Anybody interested?

Chris Carlisle
    Model 2, 582 Bluehead, C box
    Sioux Falls, SD

Default Re: Ivo fun with some questions

Chris, the only experience with a ground adj. Ivo was on a friends 0200-Cont. model 5. He always tightened the big jam nut after adjustments were made regardless of pitch.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

always tighten the jam nut! and 5800 static is pretty low. We normally shoot for 61-6200 to get the best climb, and not lug the engine down. What are your EGT's running at? At 5800 static I would guess around 975 to 1000.

Yeah...AKflyer's right. 5800 static is too low and bogs the engine down, especially in climb. EGT's too low too. Adjusted to 6100 yesterday and that seems to work out nicely with only 5 mph or so cruise speed penalty. Outside temp has a little to do with it too and here in SD (and I'm sure in AK too), the thermometer is kind of all over the place this time of year.

Maybe I'll ask for the in-flight adjustable kit for Xmas!

Ifa is the ticket! I set mine for max level cruise at 6500 rpm, then use the inflight mixture to dial egts to 1125 to 1150.

Hey, I'm only 1.4hrs north of you! I'm just a little south of Watertown. There is also another Kitfox owner in Brookings.

I may be interested in the prop, what condition is it in and what are you asking for it?

Aaron

Aaron...I was wondering when some more SD 'Foxer's would show up.

The old GSC is in good shape. It was re-built/certified by the factory last year and has about 20 hours on it since. Unfortunately, I went ahead and listed it on Ebay. I'd rather sell it locally and to a fellow Kitfoxer though.

I'd recommend looking @ the add on Ebay. Starting bid is $250. There are no bids on it yet with 4 days to go. If you want it and there are still no bids, I'd be willing to withdraw the Ebay auction and sell it to you for that price.

Chris