Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: drain holes in wings

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default drain holes in wings

Hi, I just had an inspection done and one of the things they recommended was to put drain holes at the bottom trailing edge of the wings . i am not sure if the trailing edge is a channel , if it is then only one at the end, by the fuselage would be required. If it is not a channel then suggestions were to put drains at end of each rib just forward of the trailing edge. What is the proper spot to put drain holes ? Kevin

Kitfox 5 taildragger

Default Re: drain holes in wings

Hi Kevin
    I put mine just forward of the trailing edge near each rib. I burned them through with a hot wire.
    Never seen them work yet because fortunately it is stored inside.
    Cheers
    Don
    How`s the inspection going? Or was this the only deficiency?

Default Re: drain holes in wings

Hi Kevin,
    Yes, most guys do the drain holes at the rear of each bay (rib). My instructions (KF-IV) indicated making those holes to the outboard side of each rib. Think of the dihedral of each wing and how it would drain.
    A round solderng iron does a clean job of this.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Thumbs up Re: drain holes in wings

Hi Don, I will be putting drains just forward of the trailing edge in each bay on wingtip side of the rib. I plan on using a small soldering iron. The inspection went well , the drain holes were the biggest , I also needed to add some stickers on the outside of the doors for the emergency release, a sticker for baggage area max weight , and for the throttle ,things like that. I am now waiting for the C of A. The annual I did before the import inspection was pretty detailed, I wanted to known this plane inside and out and do now. With changeing the odd thing here and there , the time sure flies by!! I never thought it would take 2 and a little months! I will post some pics when completed, Kevin

Thumbs up Re: drain holes in wings

Thanks Dan, this confirms what I was thinking of doing ! Kevin