Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer design advice

Default Re: Trailer design advice

That long tongue is going to be very weak. I would run some diagonal braces long the length of the tongue to the tail wheel channel. Also, run a brace from the main frame in front of the trailer wheels to a place about 3' from the hitch on the tongue. This will give you some lateral stability on the trailer. I will get on my other computer and post up some pics of my converted boat trailer.
    Last edited by akflyer; 10-29-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Latest version with suggestions from akflyer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don, I'm always looking for ways to make my trailering easier and quicker. I can't seem to find your photos. Doesn't mean it didn't work. The photo section on the forum is a bit of a mystery to me.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Morning Tom
    To find the pics after I had posted, I clicked on my user name"kitfox2009" then "public profile". The pics were shown as an album down in the lower right hand corner. I could send more to your personal email address if interested.
    Don

Just to make it easier for those of you who are intersted, here is the link to Dons Album showing his trailer.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=164

Okay I found them there. The tail ramp/tail support is quite unique. It has got some wheels turning in my head.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Smile Re: Trailer design advice

Hi Tom
    The "cradle" assembly just pins to the the fuselage through the two lower carry tubes. I attach this to the a/c first. The 'sliding block" assembly will run right to the lower end at the back of the trailer if necessary (as for a tail wheel model). I just use the top 2/3 of the slider because with a tricycle gear the plane just backs up until the cradle matches the sliding block. Stick in the pin and winch it up. I usually fold one wing (the a/c balances perfectly) before sticking in the pin.
    Note the steel casters on the sliding block. I tried it first without these but found the assembly "bound up" and would not slide easily.
    The entire trailer can be adjusted to fit Avid`s or KF`s either tri-gear or tail wheel. The hitch shortens up for Speedster`s or low box tow vehicles. Next spring we will be moving a friends RV9 with it as well.
    Having room for tools. fuel, ladder, gust locks, etc. is pretty handy.
    I am very pleased with how this turned out and I think my total investment is under $400.