Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: oil pressure indication

Default oil pressure indication

I have a model 3 with a 912ul and a westack 4 in 1 meter that reads EGT, Water Temp, Oil Temp and Oil Pressure.

I was getting to go for a ride today, and when I turned on the master switch, the oil pressure indicator pegged high. All other reading were as expected.

Turning off the master drops it back to zero. I disconnected the connector from the sender, and it still pegged high with power on, and zero with power off.

Anybody got any ideas???

Louie

Default Re: oil pressure indication

Maybe a dead short in the gauge. Probably time for a new gauge...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Louie,
    Time for a new sending unit. Mine did the same thing a year ago or so. This is not unsual for this unit. I think I got my replacement either from Westach or Lockwood can't remember. Give Westach (Westburg) a call ,there were very helpful. By the way IF you have to send in the gauge they will paint the yellow/red lines on the face of your instrument(under the glass) for your engine parameters,for a fee. Looks REAL nice !
    Dick

Well I just discovered that my oil sender is no good as well. I called Westach and they do not carry that sender anymore. Lockwood does not have the right one either. I discovered that Westach can convert my gauge to work with the new sender they sell. It will cost around $300. I am really thinking about putting a piece of black tape over the oil pressure quad in the gauge and then putting in a good old fashion, reliable, mechanical oil pressure gauge like I have on my tractor that sits out in the weather everyday and the $30 gauge works perfect and has been working perfect for 15 years. Anyone see any issues with doing this? I will use the copper tubing instead of the plastic to supply the gauge.

I've had a normal old fashioned oil pressure gauge for awhile. It's more reliable than the electric sending unit that is also still installed. The drawback is having an oil filled capillary line coming into the cabin. Several accidents and fires have been attributed to this type of installation on other aircraft. However, if you make sure it's copper and double check that there is no chaffing, I think you'll be happy with the reliability and the piece of mind knowing that your getting an accurate oil pressure reading.

The water temp in my 4in1 Westach is not working, just stay´s on zero. Actually its been like that for years so maybe its time to fix it soon.

Is it your experience that the fault is the gauge or the sender? Is it possible to open the 4in1 gauge and fix it or is that an impossible job

Thanks guy´s

If it's the water temp, the probes for that are still available and cheap. ($30) I don't know about troubleshooting the gauge itself. When I called Westech she told me to unplug the oil pressure sender and if it goes to 50 psi then it's the sender that is bad. They might be able to troubleshoot your water temp as well.

This whole oil pressure sender thing has really bugged me. If the sender went out during flight, this would be cause for an emergency landing. What a drag to have a forced landing, possibly bending up your plane all because of a inop pressure sender. I know there are other things that can break in flight its just that this sender seems so... insignificant but at the same time absolutely necessary. (confusing I know) Just the fact that it can bring a perfectly good plane out of the sky is disturbing. I don't think anyone would continue to fly around with no oil pressure thinking "well it's probably just the sender". Oil pressure is one of the most valuable things to monitor. If I was driving my truck and lost oil pressure, I would immediately stop and kill the engine to see what was going on. Unfortunately we don't that luxury in the air. That is why I am going with the mechanical oil pressure gauge. I don't like the idea of oil in the cockpit going to the gauge but I can take precautions for that.

Ok I am done ranting.

That's why I have both instruments in the cockpit. The electronic sending units do not do well with the vibration (buzz) of the Rotax engine whether it's mounted on the firewall or the engine. There are newer sending units available. But the piece of mind I have with the mechanical unit gives me great comfort when I question the other reading.

You might check with John McBean at Kitfox. He has a nice sending unit that fastens to the fire wall. Don't know if it is compatable to the gauge or not.
    If you do use a manual gauge with a copper line,make sure you have a loop in the line as copper can become brittle with vibration and break. The loop will also give you a steady pressure reading.
    Dick Maddux
    Fox 4
    Milton,Fl

I definately put a loop in the line as well as anchor it with some adel clamps. I am also going to check in to some small stainles steel line. This would hold up much better. Thanks for the suggestions.