Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Chaffing

Default Chaffing

May seem like a dumb question, but has anyone had a problem with the close-out panels around the stabilizer and elevator rubbing adversly on the fabric? On my SS7 I have rolled the edges of my panels slightly so they seal well at the joint with the fabric, but think they might also be a wear point. Any thoughts or past experiences in this area?

Thanks,
    Dick B

Default Re: Chaffing

I rolled my edges slightly also but not enough to deform the fabric, I have too few hours to know if it will lead to increased chaffing. I can say I am not too worried about it as at last inspection (50 hour) it is not even marring the paint much.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Chaffing

Good afternoon,

This is something you might expect form someone from "Minnesnowta" Hockey stick tape (HST) comes in black and white (at least around here) - In certain places where the aluminum lapped over the fabric I rolled on a strip of HST on fabric side of the lap so it does not stick out very far under the aluminum panel - about all a person wears out with this is HST - the stuff is cloth with sticky on one side & has a cloth/grainy exterior - sort of like what we once called "Friction tape"

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp